Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spin-- Sorry Must Return My Pizza Badge

Earl
Earl Posts: 468
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

Well,I got the urge to do another pizza as I had not done one in
so long & back then it turned out great.I had to look over the steps in the recipe section as a reminder. Some of you may still have your jar of sauce, this was a gift from Mrs & Mr Spin at Eggtoberfest"99" Anyway, got the egg up to 550 F with pizza stone in to preheat.
Made second best looking pizza to date, but then again
have only made 3 so far. Put pizza on stone & carried on reading the
posts. Looked out at the egg & saw smoke billowing out the top ...
and it's not because I added wood! Ran out and lifted the pizza, stone & all. The top, with Spin's sauce was not bad looking, just a little bit runny. The bottom was still smoking for some time afterwards. In fact the bottom was so burnt, Barb told me not to throw it out because it would make for some good charcoal.
Never fear, I will beat this evil temp problem & reclaim my much
sought after Pizza Badge from Spin.[p] Head hanging low.[p] Earl

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    05_07_0018_40_01.jpg
    <p />Earl, listen to the sage advice of Spin -- with his EGGsellant help, pizza on the BGE definately turns out great. Next time you'll make the perfect pizza![p]During my early pizza attempts, the emails from Spin arrived with suggestions... all in an attempt to help and make the perfect pizza. I'm not there yet, but I'll keep trying. Thanks Spin.[p]Gfw[p]
    [ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Earl,[p]I am not a big fan of preheating the stone - but...[p]What did you have under the pizza stone - I think that makes all the difference. I am of the opinion you need atleast another full layer of good ceramic mass like a setter or a layer of firebricks (not upright on the edges either). When I do that - I almost can't make it burn. I add my stone 5 min before the pizza.[p]Tim
    [ul][li]-- Tim's BBQ --[/ul]
  • Earl
    Tim M,[p] Good point. I do have firebricks but did not us them. The
    next time i will add as directed. Thanks!![p] Earl

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    11_25_9906_24_03.jpg
    <p />Earl, after trying a variety of placements for firebricks, I have come to the conclusion (Tim's influence) that the basic setup can be used for most cooking - including pizza![p]Good luck on the next attempt!

• Earl
    Gfw,

The stupid thing is, as i told Tim. I have them, just
    did not think things out.
    Thanks Gord.[p] Earl

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    grid.jpg
    <p />Gfw,[p]Good picture showing the little cut out area on our grids for adding wood chips/chunks. [p]That is the best way to do pizza with firebricks - then lay the stone on top. Works great.[p]Tim
  • The Colonel
    The Colonel Posts: 87
    Earl, Hey friend, going to try my first one this weekend--I think I will use the plate sitter under my stone. Mr Toad and I conferred on this and think it is a winner. Are we right Spin???
    yours in the egg--the colonel

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    the colonel,[p]You are correct. Preheat the whole thing to 550F. Make sure you have to regulate the temp at 550F. This is important as you will need to quickly recover the dome temp after inserting the pie. Regulate the temp using the top vent only - leave the bottom wide open. Open the top wide after inserting the pie until cooking temp has been reached. A nicely heated Egg will easily recover in less than 30 seconds.[p]Best to you on the cook.[p]Spin

• Spin
    Gfw,[p]I like your setup. When cooking directly on a stone, the stone needs to be insulated from the direct heat of the fire or it become too hot. Your setup does this nicely.[p]I tend to use two stacked pizza stones spaced up with small bricks (cut firebrick). This setup provides less installed mass and quicker heating times.[p]Spin

• Spin
    Earl,[p]I want people to try pizza on their Eggs as it is quite rewarding. Any badges should be given to those that make the attempt, thus your badge is secure.[p]Welcome to the small scale manufacturers of manhole covers association :). What do you think went wrong with the cook?[p]Tell barb that the manhole cover created is only good for that purpose. The ants will make a trail around it.[p]Spin