Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE--INDOORS

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a chimney opening in my kitchen ceiling. Why can't I build a large hood to catch the smoke, under the chimney opening, and put my BGE under it? I have always wanted a grill right in the kitchen and this seems like the perfect opportunity. Any reason it won't work that you can think of? Thanks.

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Gord, Sorry, but IMHO indoor burning of charcoal is a definite "NO". If your planning to do that, call your local codes and get the latest information on power venting your home. The BGE works fine in all sorts of outdoor environments and you only need to build a adequate overhead shelter if there is a need for it for personal comfort.
    Good luck..
    Char-Woody

• Gord, B A D idea! There was a family in my home town who remodeled their kitchen to include a large charcoal grill. They spent big bucks, not some two-bit rehab job. Make a long story short a gas line erupted in their kitchen one night and eventually it was ignited by the grill. All four family members were killed.

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Gord,[p]I like the idea but must caution against it. Burning charcoal produces carbon monoxide, an odorless, tasteless gas that your body absorbs 400 times faster than it can expell. It can be deadly.[p]Spin

• Gord,
    I would say no way in the kitchen. However, I do take my BGE into the bedroom from time to time. It's a bonding thing.

• Gord,[p]Yes it can be done, but will probably be very expensive upfront and ongoing. I would recommend speaking to several restaurants in your area that have sell bbq and or fried foods. Ask the owner/manager what company does did their hood vent and fire system and contact those companies. You may even ask to see the vent and fire system to see what you are getting into. After contacting the air handler/fire control contractors, you would want to check with you insurance company. In addtition to the previous, you would need to check with a HVAC company to see if your a/c will handle the load, because when the vent hood is on, all the cool air will be sent up the chimney. Basically, you are running the a/c with all your windows open, this is not very cost effective. Keep in mind that the power company will love you if you do this :)![p]The bottom line is for the cost of a hood, fire supression system, commercial carbon monoxide detector, possible new a/c, and higher energy consumption, you can build a separate cook area. A really nice one, plus have peace of mind that you will not burn down the house. You could very easily spend six to ten thousand dollars if not more and that may not be a stainless hood.[p]I personally think it would be cool to do this, but it is not worth the initial nor the ongoing costs. [p]Ashley