Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jambalaya & spice quiz - pic heavy

Bash
Bash Posts: 1,011
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Never done jambalya before, but after lots of internet searches, came up with the following:

The raws - wanted Andouille, chicken thighs, and shrimp:

a9a64a6e.jpg

Chicken and anduille:

a955e438.jpg

Some butta:

422d163a.jpg

Garlic and onions:

ffdd5b81.jpg

And green peppers:

31144da6.jpg

Add the tomatoes, chicken and sausage

8d153960.jpg

Who can guess the spices I used?

80804983.jpg

After the rice cooked about 10 minutes, added the shrimp for a turnover:

7a4f2fec.jpg

On the table - camera was in action mode, so poor shot :blush:

cbc97637.jpg

Kids thought it was too spicy! Next time will tone down the cayenne.

ccc56e82.jpg

fcfa2f48.jpg

d89c7fff.jpg

77d74d82.jpg

I thought it was great! Will make it less spicy next time so everyone else can enjoy!

Thanks for looking.

Richard

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Nice Richard!!
    Oregano, cayenne, chili pow, cumin, s/p, paprika and I don't know the upper yellow, since you put fresh garlic, but that is what it looks like. Also don't know the middle white.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Bash
    Molly, it was garlic powder (can't have too much garlic). So you got 5 of the 8.

Edit - no you got 6 of 8 - sorry for the miscount. :ermm:

Thanks for playing! :)
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Salt, pepper, chili powder, cayenne, garlic and onion powder, basil/oregano??, and I'm stumped on the light greenish spice.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    I thought it was. ;) Tell your oldest my son used to do his tounge like that and it grossed me out. I can't... :whistle:
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Bash
    Good job - you got 6 of the 8. No chili powder, though. Greenish stuff has not yet been identified.

Better than I could guess, I'm sure. :)
  • Good post. I looks loke a lot of fun to make. Tim ;)
  • Bash
    It took quite a while (internet search, shopping, prep, and cook), but it was quite good. Will definitely do again (but with a little less heat). ;)
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Good Jambalaya, is the greenish stuff file' powder ?
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Double the cayenne,that way the kids won't eat it all.Give em corndogs!!! :evil:
  • Bash
    Nope - still left unidentified. Thanks for guessing! ;)
  • Bash
    I did freeze up 3 packs for me (since it is too hot for them), as well as a bunch for a couple of lunches for next week. Was perfect heat for me. B)
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Hi Richard:

This summer i tried some paella (with great results) and wondered about the difference between paella and jambalaya. i am now determined to create a jambalaya before Christmas. Thanks for the inspiration.

Michael
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    That was funny! Spice is good except when kids or Grandma is involved. :laugh:
    Nice kids.
  •  
    The Jambalaya looks great. Nice looking family. That last boy looks like he might be a handful.

GG
  • That sounds great Richard. I feel you pain about not having the spice you like cause others can't eat it. There are so many dishes I would love to try that Doreen just can't eat. Now you got me wanting a big pot of jambalaya! :woohoo:
  • Hopefully the green stuff was dried parsley or dehydrated green onions, and not basil or oregano (neither is in MY jambalaya, anyway). You made a "red" jambalaya by including the tomatoes...lots of country jambalayas are "brown" and include NO tomatoes. The key non-seafood proteins (sausage, pork, chicken, tasso) are deeply browned, the onions are seriously browned (and the bell pepper & celery, if using), and the rice itself gets a bit of a sizzle before the stock & other seasonings are added. All sorts of gorgeous caramelized flavors are revealed. Try it some time...and stir in a bunch of chopped green onions into the finished dish, just before serving.
  • Listen to this lady, Bash. She's 100% L'Acadiane. She taught Justin Wilson everything he knew.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Looks great; and I know that it tasted great!!
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    thyme?
    context is important :)
  • Bash
  • Bash
    Thanks for the thoughtful response.

I was a bit frustrated when looking for good recipes, as there are so many variations on the web that all claim to be authentic. I did see the brown ones and the red ones. Plus they use many things for protein (sausage and chicken seemed to be the most common, but many had various types of seafood). Ultimately, I went with the tomato variant, as I knew I would like that. Next time I may try the brown kind.

If you have a recipe you recommend, I would love to try it. I will pay more attention next time to browning more, but I was late and the family was not in the mood to wait longer.

How do you do the rice, brown up in oil in another pan?

By the way, the spices I used were from Emeril Lagasse, found here:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/cajun-jambalaya-recipe2/index.html

After seeing too many recipes, I tried to pick common themes. Saw a post with corn that looked good so I added that. It was very tasty (if a bit too hot for my family). I really enjoyed it, even if it was not authentic.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Richard
  • Bash
    Gary,

Thanks - that's why I spend time on the forum. I have learned a lot in the 18 months I have been visiting. As I mentioned in my post, this was my first jambalaya. It was very tasty, but I appreciate the comments from folks who know far more than I do.

Richard