Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Gizzards

Options
pci
pci Posts: 249
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone have a good recipe to get a good tender gizzard?

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Options
    nope. I don't think it's possible. Those buggers are grinding cartilidge from the bird and tough as an old buzzard. If there is, maybe I will learn something from this thread.
  • No Trash
    Options
    I have never really got them 'tender'. But I love them. I put them in a small pan with BBQ sauce and let them cook in the sauce on the grill. Then I finish them off by grilling them to caramelize the extra sauce.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC04462c.jpg

Try this method. Trim any noticeable areas of gristle, rinse them and then soak in cold salted water for about 10 minutes.

Meanwhile mix up your seasoned flour in a zipper bag. Go heavy on the seasonings.

Rinse the gizzards again in cold water, then add them to a pan of cold water and parboil them for about 10 or 15 minutes. Drain and allow to cool.

Preheat your oil in a heavy bottom pan or deep fryer, shake the gizzards in the flour bag a few at a time and fry them until golden on all sides, then turn down the oil, cover the pan and cook 5 to 10 minutes more. Drain them on a rack with newspaper underneath and you are there.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Not tender but good.
    I put a little ButtRub and direct. Will do again. May try turkey next time.
    photo-27.jpg
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• ranger ray
    Options
    is the economy really that bad??? a guy buys a 700 dollar cooker and is eating chicken gizzards!..... chicken feet are local popular treat here since the massive influx of latinos here in the hazleton pa area( check lou barletta... he's been on and has some spots coming up on the national news networks this week in regards to illegal immigration)...people have always teased me about eating road killed deer(at least five per year).......???? yikes! lol.... ranger "road kill" ray
  • pci
    pci Posts: 249
    Options
    ranger ray wrote:
    is the economy really that bad??? a guy buys a 700 dollar cooker and is eating chicken gizzards!..... chicken feet are local popular treat here since the massive influx of latinos here in the hazleton pa area( check lou barletta... he's been on and has some spots coming up on the national news networks this week in regards to illegal immigration)...people have always teased me about eating road killed deer(at least five per year).......???? yikes! lol.... ranger "road kill" ray
    Just on game day
    GO IOWA HAWKS
  • Nikonsal
    Options
    In a crock pot I cook a package (1-1.5 pounds)in a can of chicken broth on low, season with some s&p when I go to work. When home from work and 1/2 hour before dinner throw in a cup of rice set crock pot on high wait for rice to finish and you are set. You could do the same thing on the egg on low in a dutch oven but probably will need to adjust the amount of liquid for the rice.