Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HOw many use a nomex gasket?

Options
Serial Griller
Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a Rutland gasket that I'm not sure I want to use do to the permatex used to adhere it.
How many use a nomex gasket? Do you cook a lot of pizzas or high temp cooks near the gasket height?How long have you been using it?
I have to replace my gasket before winter in any case.
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    When the original felt gaskets fell off and/or burned up my dealer replaced them with Nomex, which they came to the house to install. Shortly after that those too fell off. Last week I installed a woven hi temp gasket made for oven doors. I used Ultra Copper adhesive and have no leaks. There is no gasket on the upper rim. This is thick and cushioning and luckily seals. No smoke leaking out of the seam. I wish I knew why these things fall off or burn up. I haven't gotten more than a few weeks out of the felt or nomex gaskets. Going on week two of the new one. XXX fingers.
  • troutman
    Options
    I replaced the felt on my large with a Nomex about 18 months ago. It is doing great. I do lots of high temp cooks, searing steaks and firing pizzas near the gasket line.

Its all good. I used that 3M Super 77 (or something like that) spray adhesive, but I sprayed it into a cup then brushed it on.

Good luck.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Hi, Jon. What's wrong with Permatex? Are you ok with eating Super 77? Not that you would be eating either. But how about the carcinogens you eat when you sear a steak? I'm convinced that nothing is safe! :lol:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Hi, Patty. Got any pics of your stove gasket installation? Sure would like to see it - always wondered about using those.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Serial Griller
    Options
    Michael,
    Thanks! You are probably correct.I imagine some fumes form along the inside edge in any case. I think the super 77 is a bit less dangerous...maybe?
    I'm just tired of dealing with it and I've had my egg just over a year and ready for my third gasket.
    What do you use?
    Like GG said.BGE mothership needs to address the gasket issue.
    Have a great weekend.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I have replaced all of my gaskets with Aramid (nomex is the brand name, more $$). I did this in June and July. I have done some really high temp pizzas on my medium, and it is still on there. I dont think it will be permanent as it has burned on the edges, but it still seals, and that is why I have gaskets is to snuff out the fire faster. I got the 1" wide strips part#8976K52:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#aramid-fabric-strips

50' covered all of my eggs.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Serial Griller wrote:
    Michael,
    Thanks! You are probably correct.I imagine some fumes form along the inside edge in any case. I think the super 77 is a bit less dangerous...maybe?
    I'm just tired of dealing with it and I've had my egg just over a year and ready for my third gasket.
    What do you use?
    Like GG said.BGE mothership needs to address the gasket issue.
    Have a great weekend.

Beats me. Every time I turn around, something different is gonna kill me. Six months from now, I should eat more of it! I pretty much gave up, ya know?

My original gasket lasted about three weeks. I didn't bother to replace it for a couple of months and last November, I installed a Rutland with Permatex Ultra Copper on my large. ZERO worries since then. Just installed one on my mini last week. Love it!

Use an egg 4-5 times a week - ain't dead yet. :lol:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• 2Fategghead
    Options
    Serial Griller wrote:
    I have a Rutland gasket that I'm not sure I want to use do to the permatex used to adhere it.
    How many use a nomex gasket? Do you cook a lot of pizzas or high temp cooks near the gasket height?How long have you been using it?
    Thanks in advance.

Jon, I have a nomex gasket on my large egg and I have not had any problems using it. About 12 or 18 months ago I replaced my felt gasket with a nomex gasket. I stuck it on the large egg using the super 77 spray adhesive. I sprayed the gasket after drying it in the dryer and I sprayed the egg. I have not had a single problem out of the nomex gasket. Tim :)
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Why Jon, what's going on with the one that's on?
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Serial Griller
    Options
    Molly,
    The felt gasket leaks like a chimney when smoking and causes more charcoal to be used when shutting down.The gasket is flaking off.I'm sure in it's current condition it will easy to be removed.
  • Serial Griller
    Options
    2Fategghead wrote:
    Serial Griller wrote:
    Thanks in advance.

Jon, I have a nomex gasket on my large egg and I have not had any problems using it. About 12 or 18 months ago I replaced my felt gasket with a nomex gasket. I stuck it on the large egg using the super 77 spray adhesive. I sprayed the gasket after drying it in the dryer and I sprayed the egg. I have not had a single problem out of the nomex gasket. Tim :)
    Tim,
    Do you cook a lot of pizzas or do high temp cooks?
    Thanks for your input.
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    I can try again with pictures, but I'm not good at it. It looks just like a Rutland, woven and tubular. It's the kind used inside many oven doors. I got it at an appliance dealer/repair store.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Is that happening on both or just one?
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Jon, I don't cook a lot of pizza but I have had this egg 700 degrees many times but not while cooking pizza at grid level. Before I got my spider and ci grid for the spider I would sear using a full load of lump at 550 - 700 degrees.

I should tell you I do most of my high heat cooks on my other large because the old felt gasket is almost nonexistent and now I sear at 400 degrees using the spider.

It may be best to have a dedicated egg for pizza. Either one with a gasket that will hold up or no gasket at all. I don't think i'm a good example for you I would say pizza cooks are the real test. Tim ;)
  • stevesails
    Options
    i use the cotronics with the 600 degree permatex. a nice seal.. and i put one around the chimney so when I put on the cap, it is a nice seal.. fire shuts down right away.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• 2Fategghead
    Options
    I have gaskets around the inside of my rain caps. ;)
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Jon,

Care to enlighten us on what it is that scares you about the Permatex Ultra Copper?

Thank you.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Deckhand
    Options
    The emotional stress and possible cardiac arrest caused by witnessing damage to a loved egg far outweighs the remote chance that a few microns of Permatex might find its way into the food chain. (That's what I tell myself, anyway)... Besides, the label on the charcoal bag says in no uncertain terms that it produces carbon monoxide and we cheerfully sniff the smoke to see if it's bitter.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    POOR,POOR me,I have NO gasket,therefore I have NO gasket issues.I can cook ANYTHING without one,so why bother???? :S
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Hoss, I dont think the issue has anything to do with being able to cook something, its controlling and snuffing the fire. There is a noticable difference between shutting down an egg with a gasket vs. one without (my Lg. gasket is gone, and the fire goes out much slower). Some people want to save fuel, some dont care, and thats fine too. I cooked a steak on my mini tonight, and after the 5-10 minute rest, I cut into the steak and noticed I was really on the rare side. I took it outside to warm it up, and the tightly sealed mini was completely shut down from 700F, no flame or embers anywhere. I guess it was the one time I wished I had a swiss cheese egg that was still running.

edit: Hoss, every time I see you post, I forget to mention how I saw a ranch kettle listed in your profile. That is one serious kettle my friend, that is one I would like to get my hands on. I bet you could fit a whole hog in there?!
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    I use a NOMEX no problems - bought it at the eggtoberfest in 2008 and installed soon after. Yes I cook a lot of pizzas. No problems. On pizzas, I try and avoid flashbacks by opening bottom and top vents for a few seconds before opening the egg. I think I burned my felt ones up by burping my egg, resulting in a flame up and fried gasket...
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    Replaced my Medium after 2 years intense cook'en with stock gasket. All ways looking for high preformance in everything. With the stocker I never did a burn off. Yea I hit redline a couple times but not for long. With this the "worrie" is gone. Heck my dealer gave me the gasket, glue and cleaner!
  • cherokeer
    Options
    I've had my nomex on for a year and a half with absolutely no issues. I have had the egg over 600 degrees over a hundred times for pizza and steaks and absolutely love it. I've done many cleans with the heat as high as I could get it well above 700 and never a problem. I used the 3m glue and have done a friends of mine as well.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i have had my nomex on for the last three years i cook everything on there. i do alot of high heat and pizzas and bread. the nomex is a great product B)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    I put one on 4 days ago...

So far I am happy with it but I hadn't had a gasket for many years.

Heck it only took me 30 mins to put it on..
  • Serial Griller
    Options
    RRP wrote:
    Jon,

Care to enlighten us on what it is that scares you about the Permatex Ultra Copper?

Thank you.
    contains chemicals that cause cancer, birth defects
    So does Super77 probably..Not looking for an argument.Just trying make the correct decision
  • Serial Griller
    Options
    Thanks to all for your input.I might try the nomex even though the Rutland would be easier and probably a permanant fix. I'll probably get run over by a truck before I die from either gasket.LOL :) :laugh:
    I have felt material inside my ceramic cap to help seal after shutting down.
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    I have them on both of my eggs. Put them on when the felt one burned up doing pizzas. Haven't had any problems since. About 6 months now.
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney