Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

King Salmon

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks to all you Eggers who helped Joe Nelson with the perfect steak.No more home heating coal for my Egg.Yuk! Yuk! I was able to wrap the needle on my temp. guage past 750 degrees and what a difference. Best steaks I have ever cooked. May need that flame resistant space suit for my next outing. Possibly save some hair that way.[p]I am going to Egg a large piece of King Salmon tonight. It is a fillet about 1-1/4" thick. I have some chunks of Alder that I would like to use. Any help out there on temp.,time, seasonings, etc. I would greatly appreciate the help.[p]You guys/gals are great and I can't wait to gain the experience to help someone else down the line. Many thanks, Egg-On

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Egg-On,
    Lots of ways to do salmon. I had great luck the other day cooking direct at 325 for 20 minutes a side. If you like more smoke flavor, try it in the 250-275 range for longer.[p]Mary's recipe that she does with her Alder plank works great without the plank. I did it the other day with soy sauce, olive oil, lemon juice, ginger root, dill, honey, rice wine, and roasted sesame seeds. Doesn't get much better.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Egg-On, never did filets but I have done salmon steaks. Check the link below for pics and times.

[ul][li]Salmon Steak[/ul]
  • Fritz
    Fritz Posts: 179
    Egg-On,[p]I find the Kingly Salon recipe from SMOKE AND SPICE to be a wonderful start. Kind of like your basic steak.[p]It goes like this:[p]1/4 cup dried dill
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    2 teaspoons kosher salt
    2 teaspons black pepper[p]This makes enough for a whole 3# salmon. It should be fine for two filets half that size.[p]I find cooking it for 45 - 60 minutes, skin side down, at 200* to be perfect. I have done it on a plank at higher temps and at the 200* temp, but I prefer it this way. I would NOT flip it at all when smoking. You would flip it if you were grilling at a very high temp, but that defeats the purpose of creating a smoked salmon, though it does produce a nice meal as well, just not to my liking.[p]We make this recipe at least once a week and it is the one I did at EGGtoberfest 99.[p]Fritz

• Fritz
    Fritz Posts: 179
    Ooops,[p]S"alon" is supposed to be "Salmon", my fingers were slipping, sorry.[p]Fritz
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Fritz:[p]Just want to second your times of 45 - 60 minutes for a filet of about 14 to 16 inches at 200*. I mop on some olive oil and sprinkle with Lowery's Seasoning Salt. Great results.