Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dutch Oven

Cruezn
Cruezn Posts: 317
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just purchased a 6 QT Dutch Oven yesterday. I have never used a DO befor, but have seen it referenced several times on the forum. I currently have a Large and a Small Egg. What sizes are usually used for these? Also, do you use them very often? I can see uses for stew, or chili, but don't know what else they'd be used for. I look forward to hearing your responses. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    They are good for baking bread in as well... :lol:
  • and making breakfast..

Stuffed cabbage and stuffed bell peppers.. Chicken and Rice.. Cornbread.. Glazed Ham and Sweet Potatoes .. Coc au Vin .. ohhh the list is endless..
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    country cobbler, cioppino, potroast. heres a country cobbler

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=610617&catid=1
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Yeah, i haven't used my DO as much as i would like to. But i've done a couple peach cobblers and some fried chicken. Coppler is definately good eats.

Crap, almost forgot. bread. did a couple loaves. i should do some more this week...

DSCN2128.jpg

DSCN2118.jpg
  • Did these beans up on the weekend. They turned out fantastic. I am really enjoying the DO :)
    Beansready.jpg

Shane
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    The first time I used my DO was with the lid on in the medium, the top didn't close because the thermometer hit it. I had to use the plate setter legs up, then spacers and pizza stone. Then it was fine. I baked bread and it was wonderful. The trick to bread is to heat the DO as hot as the egg, then put the dough in it. Bake for a half hour lid on, then remove it for the remaining 20 mins. First it bakes, then it gets the wonderful crust.
    Look up no knead bread.
    Next up, baked beans.
  • Gumbo, Jambalaya, Chicken and dumplings, Osso Bucco, and just about anything you cok in a pot in your oven.

One of my favorites. You can substitute Chicken or pork for the rabbit, but if you can handle eating "Bugs" it's well worth it.

Rabbit sauce piquante
    Makes about 6 servings
    2 rabbits (about 4 pounds), cut into serving pieces
    Salt and cayenne to taste
    ¾ cup vegetable oil
    ¼ cup all-purpose flour
    2 cups chopped yellow onions
    2 cups chopped green bell peppers
    1 cup chopped celery
    2 teaspoons chopped garlic
    1 (16-ounce) can whole tomatoes, crushed in their juice
    1 (10-ounce) can Ro-Tel tomatoes
    3 tablespoons tomato paste
    2 bay leaves
    1/4 cup red wine (optional)
    1/4 cup Sherry
    3 to 4 cups chicken broth or water, as needed
    3 tablespoons chopped green onions
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
    Salt and Cayenne pepper to taste.
    Season the rabbit pieces with salt and cayenne. Heat a half cup of the oil in a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat. Brown the rabbit, in batches, for about 6 minutes on each side. Transfer to a platter and set aside. Drain the oil from the pot and clean it well.
    Return the pot to stove, and, over medium heat, combine the remaining quarter cup of oil and the flour. Stirring slowly and constantly, make a dark brown roux. Add the onions, bell peppers and celery, and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are soft and golden, about 10 minutes.
    Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, red wine (if using), the bay leaves and 3 cups of the broth or water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, until the oil rises to the surface and a paper-thin skin forms, about 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
    Return the rabbit to the pot and adjust seasoning to taste. Continue to cook over medium-low until the meat is tender, about 2 hours. If the mixture becomes too thick, add the remaining cup of broth or water during the cooking time. Remove the bay leaves and add the green onions and the parsley. Serve over steamed rice.
  • carnitas_020910P1010520.JPG

Carnitas of course!
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Bread!

CIBread.jpg

We use our enameled dutch oven all of the time. Just recently made a huge batch of corn seafood chowder and ancho chili.
    The deep walls on the dutch oven make for a great deep fryer, too. Perfect for deep frying anything from falafel to chicken.

I'd part with a lot of kitchen tools before I let go of my enameled DO.

john
  • Dave,
    I may have to try this. Looks tasty and easy. thanks.
  • Thanks - they are supper easy. Try it with a few pickled onions. The bite really compliments the rich meat.

Pickled Onions

1 red onion, halved lengthwise, ends removed, and thinly sliced
    2 tablespoons cider vinegar
    Juice of 1 lime (about 2 tablespoons)
    Salt and pepper to taste

I put the onions in a saucepan, added just enough water to cover, and boiled until tender (about 1 minute). I remove them from heat, rinsed with cold water, and drained.

I put the onions in a plastic container, added the lime juice and vinegar, and seasoned to taste with a couple of grinds of black pepper and about a teaspoon of kosher salt. I sealed the container and stored it in the fridge for about an hour before serving.

carnitas_P1020376071310.jpg

That loaf of bread look wonderful!
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Hi Dave,

That sounds and looks really good... I will have to give it a try.

Thanks for sharing!
  • My DO (with feet)is used mostly when camping and the BGE is at home. You can make almost anything in it that you make in the BGE. Meats, stews, soups, casseroles, bread, rolls. Charcoal brickets below and on the lid control heat well if you can keep it out of the wind. I have another (no feet)that I use in the BGE for baked beans, etc.
  • I second this suggestion. No-knead bread is fantastic.
  • Among DO enthusiasts there is a saying that if you can cook/bake it in an oven at home you can do it in a DO.

Here's choux pastry, read: eclairs, done in a DO with legs and charcoal top and bottom

IMAG0202.jpg

I haven't tried it in an egg, would be concerned about smell of the lump.
  •  
    You are in for a lot of good eating. If you use the lid on the DO during the entire cook you may as well save the lump and do the cook in the oven.

Here are a couple of cooks.
    doroast3.jpg

doroast7.jpg

chili1.jpg

chili2.jpg

eggcioppinoa.jpg

eggcioppinob.jpg

GG
  • Cruezn
    Thanks everyone for the ideas. Is there a specific setup you use, or does the DO go directly on the lump? Thanks
  •  
    I wouldn't put the DO directly on the lump nor do I see a need to use a plate setter, stand offs then the DO. As in the name the Dutch Oven is the Oven.

I use the spider like in the picture above. The only reason you see the deep dish stainless steel pizza pan under the DO is that DO is to small for the opening in the spider, I need it to keep the DO from falling down into the spider. If I didn't have a spider I would use the grid.

GG
  • Cruezn
    Kent, Thank You
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I use plate setter legs up with little green feet.

Good Luck. Hopefull ythe 6qt will fit on your small. I think it will. Mine has room to spare with 5qt.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    start your cook around 300, then adjust up or down til you get a nice light simmer. my dutch has legs so its on a pizza stone and my enamelled ones i use a similar setup with inderect heat as i dont like the expensive pots seeing the direct heat in an egg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Cruezn
    Thanks for all the help. My wife is really anxious for "me" to try out the dutch oven. I wouldn't have it any other way.