Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Labor day cook: first overnight smoke! (pic heavy)

Options
Rezen73
Rezen73 Posts: 356
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Brisket, sausage, barbecue "baked-style" black beans, and pasta salad.

So I started the brisket last night, around 9:30pm or so... and let it cook until around noon (12:15 maybe?), low & slow. Around 14-14.5 hours or so.

Prepped & ready to go on the egg :D

IMG_3249.jpg

Nice and smoking, around 10pm (maybe 10:30?) last night. Had to pop the top because the temp dropped to around 150, and I was afraid the fire had gone out.

IMG_3263.jpg

Woke up this morning, went to check the temp and the dome temp was around 185. Had to add some more lump & wood chunks.

IMG_3265.jpg

At this point the brisket temp was 159.6. Few more hours to go :D

IMG_3267.jpg

So I refilled the woodchips, another smoking session is upon us :D

IMG_3270.jpg

Right before I took it off. Just wanted to get the peppers roasting while the brisket "rested".

IMG_3271.jpg

Off the grill, and onto a sheet pan with a towel underneath, and two layers of heavy duty aluminum foil. Ready to add about a cup of beef broth, wrap in foil, wrap in a towel, then stick it into a cooler to "rest."

IMG_3272.jpg

Can't have brisket without sausage. These links are pork/venison with garlic. mmmm tasty :D

IMG_3275.jpg

Letting the roasted peppers/garlic steam to loosen the skins.

IMG_3276.jpg

Barbecue baked-style black beans. Just waiting on the roasted peppers to finish steaming, and some fresh cilantro.

IMG_3277.jpg

Homemade agave-chipotle barbecue sauce. The little white bits in there is a lot of minced garlic :D The bowl in the back is the au jus from the brisket; instead of using any butter/oil in the barbecue sauce, I used the au jus instead.

IMG_3278.jpg

Prepping the aioli for my brisket sammiches the rest of the week. Mayo, roasted garlic, lemon zest, juice from one lemon, kosher salt, cracked black peppercorns, and some cayenne pepper. :D

IMG_3279.jpg

Roasted peppers all chopped and ready to go into the black beans :D

IMG_3280.jpg

Barbecue black beans ready to be served, complete with fresh cilantro :D

IMG_3282.jpg

The brisket was dynamite.

IMG_3284.jpg

The bark was absolutely scrumptious :D

IMG_3285.jpg

Late lunch/dinner is served. My wife made the pasta salad: al dente macaroni elbows tossed with sun dried tomatoes, scallions, grated parmesan cheese, olive oil, basil pesto, and caeser salad dressing (I think lol).

IMG_3286.jpg

Comments