Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does anyone else dislodge their charcoal grate...

TheDirtyBurger
TheDirtyBurger Posts: 846
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone else dislodge their charcoal grate when stirring up lump?

My large is older and I never had any problem with the original charcoal grate. When I got my small I noticed if I stirred the lump with my small ash tool the charcoal grate would move or even flip over. The other day I cleaned out my large and put in a new charcoal grate Bethe old one was cracking. Again when I stirred with the ash too for the large it would dislodge. I have it round side down. Its starting to be a pain. Any ideas?
thanks
Tim

Comments

• Goody
    Goody Posts: 102
    My large is about 6 months old. I sometime have the same problem. If I get too quick or too hard with stirring the ash it can move some from time to time. I have mine beveled side down.

Don't have a real solution for you, but can just sympathize.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    gotta be gentle there big boy! :woohoo:

Actually if it really bothers you that much you can drill 3 holes near the edges and then run a bolt down and secure with nuts - that will solve the problem. Give me a couple minutes and I'll post a picture of my large.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • pci
    pci Posts: 249
    I have the same problem with my med. When it happens have to take out all the lump to get it back in place.A pain in the rear.
  • RRP
    creates legs like this
    IMG_2408.jpg
  • consider getting a turbo grate

much better performance and eliminates that issue
  • RRP has a good idea
    I find if if I make sure my ash tool edge is not down on an angle when working around the edges of the grate the problem does nto happen often. I think I will try RRP method.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    charcoalgrate.jpg

I'm guesing you have the grate in correctly, with the beveled edge resting against the firebox? It's easy to get it in upside down...
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Tim - Here is my solution to your problem:
    Gratespacer01.jpg
    Made out of 1/2" dia. mild steel round bar.

Gratespacer02.jpg
    Here it is in place.

Gratespacer03.jpg
    And here is the grate in place with a 1/2" gap all around.

Hope this helps.
  • Mike that looks gooder'n than any I have seen.
    I'm sure ya gonna bring me one to the Mega Mini Fest.
    Thanks in advance, your the best. :)
    Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• RRP
    I didn't say it, but it's best if you use bolts long enough so they actually rest on the bottom of your egg. Trust me you can stir like a mad man and she won't tilt!
  • I stir my old lump and ashes with the tapered tips of a very long pair of aluminum tongs I keep hanging on the Egg. Much lighter weight than the ash tool and much more effective. It does the job quickly and only when I put too much force into it does it knock the grate out of place. Using the ash tool is like hitting a badminton birdie with a baseball bat.

You guys! Why does everything have to be a project?

Judy in San Diego and br-r-r-r it's chilly!
    Judy in San Diego
  • RRP
    You guys! Why does everything have to be a project?
    :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Tinkering is my game!
  • Ron,

Did you weld dowels in the air holes. Any noticable loss of airflow? ;)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Well, I hit the nail on the head, didn't I!

Thanks for the laugh of the day. I have four slabs of babybacks being Guru'd as we speak, Hour 3, and after the last spritz I have nothing to do for the moment but tweak you.

Best,
    Judy
    Judy in San Diego
  • I have the same trouble with my small. If I get a bit aggressive stirring the coals in the small, the grate will sometimes flip. My large has what I believe to be a casting defect in the fire bowl in the form of a small bump about 3/8 inch in diameter and 1/4 inch tall and it keeps the grate in place.

I'm wondering if you could use something like JB Weld to create small bumps that would keep things in place.
  • thegrillster,

I had one. Worked well but fell apart after a year.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RRP
    That was actually custom made at a machine shop for me as a thank you gift. I just posted it for the concept of the three legs. And yes it was welded and all the holes were drilled. It's nine years old now and still tank-solid!
  • Yeah, I remember that now. I was going to edit my post to say brazed but the whole thing is cold steel isn't it?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• TNmike
    TNmike Posts: 643
    Yea, cast iron is a little tough to weld. Likely a steel grate. Some of us do like to play with our toys. :) Mike
  • TNmike
    TNmike Posts: 643
    Thanks RRP, more ideas for 'tinkering'. :) I'm wondering if maybe I can get the lump grate on top of the cooking grid. Kinda of an upside down BGE. Dome temp might not be of much value though. :laugh: :laugh: :silly: :silly: Mike