Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Serving co-workers: Advice and Suggestions

dbCooper
dbCooper Posts: 2,061
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I seem to be getting by OK when serving guests at home. Now I'd like to expand out to serving my co-workers at our place of employment. Ribs, pulled pork and what folks here refer to as ABT's (I call them field mice)are what I have in mind.

Do others here do this? I need some advice. Know that I am about 15 minutes away from work and have no kitchen facilities there. My troubles:
- Food will be cooked the night before, so will be at fridge temps when it arrives at work.
- How best to reheat and serve to co-workers? I am thinking a couple crock pots, but might that ruin my carefully smoked goodies?

Kind regards,
dbCooper
LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
Great Plains, USA

Comments

• I probably have served as much pork at work as I have at home. I always put my butts on the evening before when I get home, and use my Guru where I still dont lose any sleep. That's one of the main reasons for buying a Guru for me. It takes care of things when I cant. I've always had good luck timing mine out though. I just get up a couple hours before work, that way if I miss under I always just wrap in HD foil and toss it in the oven for an hour at 350. Ribs is a diff story in my book. I work twelve hour shifts so I have plenty time when I get to work to load our drum smoker with ribs and have them done at lunch. We have no kitchen at our work either so I know all about the challenges. As far as the crockpot goes, I know there's tons of guys on here that use them but I never have. I just cant make myself put a butt in a crock pot. But I also dont sauce my pork with a bbq sauce. I guess if I did, the crockpot might not be a bad idea. It just takes practice. You'll figure it out.
  • dbCooper,

I usually put it in the fridge and let them look after it. Best way I know if with ribs and pp is to vacuum seal, loosely with the pulled pork and reheat in simmering water.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Take the morning off and bring the food just in time for lunch. Easier to time the cook and no reheating.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• I did my first pork reheat over memorial day. I put coca cola in a crock pot and let it heat up. I added too much coke to one pot and it got a little watery but it was still good. If people are not bbq snobs like us, they will still think it is awesome - you know why? - because it will be!
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DSC00558a.jpg

Pulled pork is by far the easiest, because you can cook it ahead (even pull and freeze it) and it reheats perfectly. I like to use a crock pot for serving and will either buy the Hawaiian Rolls or Sara Lee rolls if I'm making sliders, or flour tortillas if I'm doing PP burritos. Buy disposable trays, plates or those paper boats you see in hamburger joints.

Sides like beans can be done in a second crock pot, and if you are doing potato salad or slaw... buy it from the deli and set their containers into a larger container (like a 2 gallon plastic bucket) and fill it with ice.

BTW we don't have a formal kitchen either, there are some microwaves around which will work for the pork if you have time to babysit it. I have been known to heat the rolls in a welding rod oven.

4-17-08034a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,061
    Thanks to all for the replies. It is much appreciated.

I really like the idea of staying home in the morning to cook.... will run that by my manager! :cheer:
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA