Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Permatex Ultra Copper for gasket

Options
thailandjohn
thailandjohn Posts: 952
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Someone told me you could use the Permatex Ultra Copper hi temp silicone gasket just by itself.....nothing else needed

Has anyone tried this?

Comments

• civil eggineer
    Options
    I know one poster has done this but can't remember which one and never heard of an update to its success.
  • kjed
    kjed Posts: 55
    Options
    I did it. I put a thick bead of the stuff on the lip of the base, with voids at 3, 6, and 9 o'clock. I placed wax paper over the bead, placed some small wooden dowels (the kind you get when you buy assembly-required furniture) in the voids, closed the lid, and waited 24 hours.

The next day, I lifted the lid, and was pleased to find that the wax paper had flattened all the way around - in other words, I had applied the bead at uniform thickness all the way around and didn't have any shallow spots. I then took some more permatex, filled in the voids where I had the dowels, placed wax paper over them, closed the lid, and waited another 24 hours.

When all was said and done, I had a couple spots where the Permatex had flowed over the edge of the lip. I trimmed those spots with a utility knife. I now have an ugly-looking, but nice tight seal. I never get any smoke leakage.

The other thing I did later was just put a cut in the seal, so that I can squeeze my Guru probe wire in and not create a gap.

Hope this helps,
    Keith
  • Buxwheat
    Options
    I would suggest using Saran Wrap instead of wax paper. I'll explain tomorrow, but take my word for it.
  • Niner
    Niner Posts: 9
    Options
    why use saran wrap instead of wax paper?