Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Unlumpy in Massachusetts

abundell
abundell Posts: 62
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I live about 20 mile northish-westish of Boston. I've mostly been using Wicked Good charcoal, and I do like it (though it takes a l-o-n-g time to come up to temp). But... I'm kinda tired of paying about $1/lb. when I read about things like Royal Oak at a fraction of the price. Anyone is the N.E. area know where I can buy good lump for less dough-re-mi?

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    You could drive to Holyoke and pick up WG from their distribution center - about $13 per 22 lb bag. Or go to Walmart for Royal Oak at $6-something for 10 lbs.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• There are two Restaurant Depots in MA. Needham and Chelsea. Some others in NE too. They have 17 lb bags of RO that are much cheaper per lb than the 10 pound bags at Walmart and they carry it all year. You'd have to show a business card to join. Members only.
    Great utensils there too. It's like a Sam's club for restaurants. All meats, premium quality produce, groceries and spices galore. An event.
    PattyO
    Locations:
    Chelsea, MA
    Cranston, RI
    Everett OPENING Q4 2010
    Hartford, CT
    Needham, MA
    Orange, CT
  • Ace hardware stores carry cowboy and royal oak usually, as well as the better version of frontier.

You in Leominster or thereabouts?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    pallet of thirty 22 pound bags of wg is around 58 cents a pound, you would need to pick it up in holyoke.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Rounds Hardware in Stoneham (Just off rte 93) is where I get my Royal Oak for +/-$14/20lb bag (It may be an 18 lb bag nowadays).

I suggest calling around to hardware stores in your area and see if they carry lump and what kind.

My local Ace Hardware store carries Cowboy for about $11/20lb so I get it there when I get cowboy.

One time I went in and saw Royal Oak, got very excited, checked to make sure it was made in America (very important, the South American stuff sparks too much) and bought a bag. AFTER I opened it at home, I found it was BRIQUETTES! (idiot!)

I'm working at Ft Devens in Ayer these days. If you want, I could buy you a bag and you could come over here to pick it up. Let me know if you're interested.
  • Yo Patty,

This sounds cool, but... I don't have a business card? I'm just kind of a regular guy. Do you go there? On their website they say they want to see a resellers license, etc.

Thanks
  • I'm about 30 mins from Leominster, but I am going to Lowell in a few days and that's a hop/skip/jump. Is there a place in Leominster?
  • Do a quick check online for hardware stores in the area, then give them a call to find out.

Actually look into hardware stores closer to you first. The Home Depot nearest me doesn't carry lump, but the one near you might.
  • i was just taking a stab at where you where...

lump should be available at many hardware stores, even Homely Despot and bLowes.
  • Thanks, Bob.

I went to Rounds... actually met Mr. Round... there's gotta be a joke in there somewhere... and got the last bag of RO.

Tonight I'm doing an Elder Ward pork butt. We'll see how that RO does.

Thanks
  • Already been to the big boxes and called a bunch of hardware stores. They all carry Cowboy if they carry anything. Also have a call into RO in GA. I'm gonna ask them who sells it up here. But I did drive to Stoneham and got a bag of RO. So, I'm good for the moment.
  • nuthin the matter with cowboy in my thinkin.. perfectly serviceable.

but if it is specifically RO you want, yeah, Rounds in stoneham has it
  • wow, that was quick!
    If Rounds works for you it is a good source for many of us as they keep stocked with RO year round.
  • LAST BAG?!?!!?

dammit. bob nver shoulda spilled the beans about Round's...

by the way, there's a great little kitchen supply store about a quarter mile down from Round's. next time you hit the hardware store, check it out.
  • The only "problem" I have with Cowboy is that it seems to burn fast. I'm used to WG which seems to last a lot longer. The plus side of Cowboy is that it lights quickly. WG takes forever. I like to cook some things at 400-425 and it can take 45 mins to get there with WG. I do a cedar plank salmon at 425 for 17 mins. So that's perfect for Cowboy... quick to temp with a short cook time. I hate waiting 45 mins for the WG and then only needing the heat for 17 mins. But for longer cooks, I like the WG. Meanwhile I'm excited about trying RO. Things are slow around here. So getting excited about a bag of lump is about as much as I can handle.
  • It's my new favorite place and you're my new best friend
  • Glad to help!
    and the name of the Restaurant Supply place that St!ke mentioned is D.A.Bucci.

I needed a chef's knife to put in my tool kit and they got me a perfect (used) one for $5, sharpened before they let me go. You can bring knives there for sharpening as well. good place to check out so when you need something you know where to get it.