Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Tel Tru ??

MO Mule
MO Mule Posts: 81
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm a fairly new egger (May). My last ribs cooked quicker then i thought they should so i checked my egg ther and it was about 50 deg off. I have seen you all have good things to say about the Tel Tru so i ordered one. The directions are vague so i was wondering do you calibrate it before using and how often do you check it after that? Thanks

Kem

Comments

• ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    I would calibrate it before you use it for the first time even though they are supposed to be done at the factory prior to being shipped. How often to calibrate is up to you, I calibrate mine whenever I do a low and slow.
  • Sounds like good advice. Thanks
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I'm a fan of Tel-Tru but I have to ask - why not just calibrate your BGE one before giving up on it? I also always suggest throwing away that metal clip inside which can cause them to get out of whack. Gravity is going to hold it in place.

I also have to ask where are you in MO and how did you happen to choose "Mule"? Couldn't happen to be anything associated with CMSU could it?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • MO Mule wrote:
    I'm a fairly new egger (May). My last ribs cooked quicker then i thought they should so i checked my egg ther and it was about 50 deg off. I have seen you all have good things to say about the Tel Tru so i ordered one. The directions are vague so i was wondering do you calibrate it before using and how often do you check it after that? Thanks

Kem

I also am new to the egg and have been feeling like the egg was cooking hotter than the temp gauge said, so I ordered a Tru Tel which is going to be delivered today. Since I ordered it i calibrated my BGE thermometer. (before reading about calibrating my BGE thermo)Im cooking ribs on Saturday and wondering if i should just go ahead and use the tru tel or see how the BGE one does? My only concern is that the stem on the tru tel seems to be about 2 inches longer. Any advice from teh pros? I also am going to try my first pizza tomorrow!!! ill post pics after!!
  • The Tel-Tru should be good out of the box, but it won't hurt to check it before putting it into service.
  • RRP
    The standard BGE stem is 4" while the Tel-Tru is 5" unless you ordered the 2" one. I use a wooden toy wheel to take up 1/2" and don't worry about the other 1/2".
  • I did calibrate the egg therm and used it a few times. I just didn't have much confidence in it after that.
    I live in Mt Vernon and my name came from another major hobby (bicycling).
  • RRP
    Like this...
    IMG_0114.jpg

BTW I've had 3 Tel-Trus for nearly 8 years and have never had to re-calibrate any of them, though I do check at least annually.
  • Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    good idea, I used a wine cork.

Walt
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Where do you find those wheels?
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • RRP
    any craft store has them - I stained and polyurethaned mine - back when I did that I still was stuck in that over achiever gear frame of mind! ;)