Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston "PAIN IN THE" Butt problem

Options
Midnight Smoker
Midnight Smoker Posts: 273
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My BB's come out tasting great, but I just can't time them well. I go by the 2.5 hours/lb @ 225 and they take more like 3.5 per pound. I have two on right now that I put on at noon yesterday.......fire stayed steady at 220 ,most of the time. I did let it go down to 200 because I thought I had the time.
Well......it's NOW 22 hours later and the BB's are at 178*........An hour ago they were at 180 and the fire was holding at 220. I NEED these to be ready at 1:00 at the lastest! Am I alright???? How long does it take to go from 180 to 200? Can I juice the heat up a bit....say 275? And lastly..........what the heck is my problem.....steady temp, but taking more than 3.2 hours per pound![p]Thanks in Advance!!!! Paul

Comments

• Midnight Smoker,
    Once you've past the plateau, which you have, you can ramp up the temp to 300 or so to finish them. From 180 or so you should be able to get them finished off in about 2 hours or less. So go ahead and ramp up the temp. If they finish early just take them off, wrap them in foil, and put them in a cooler or the microwave. Microwaves are insulated so they act like a cooler to keep them warm. I've taken butts off and had them in a cooler or microwave for 4+ hours and they were still very hot when pulling them.[p]As to your overall issues, I haven't a clue. Mine tend to run closer to 2hrs per pound, but I usually ramp up after the plateau.

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    Midnight Smoker, you're just too good. Your skill at holding temps in the egg, appers to be keeping you from finishing that butt. Remember, DOME TEMP is higher than GRID TEMP. If you are holding at 220 dome temp, your grid temp could be as low as 190. You'll never hit 200 on the butt, if that's the case. I like to cook overnight at 220, then as soon as I get up in the morning, bring it up to 250 to finish the cook. Even 275 won't hurt now as you mentioned.
    Scott

• Mike in MN
    Options
    Midnight Smoker,
    Mine normally take that long, and when one is done in the 16 hours they seem to note around here, I get to wondering what the heck went "right" this time. [p]Thoughts....preheat time, was your mass up to temp when you started, temp of the butt going in, drip pan with liquid, opening and closing the dome, basting, platesetter, accuracy of thermometer and probes, did I miss anything? All are factors.[p]Bump the temp a bit, if things don't happen, bump it some more. [p]Good luck. It's gonna be just fine...If you were close to me, I'd volunteer to come over and finish it for you and send you to McDonalds, because you know they can provide lunch on time. [p]Mike in MN

• Midnight Smoker
    Options
    Midnight Smoker,[p]Thanks EVERYONE!!! Things are fine...temp has risen to 190 and I'm back on time......just was geting nervous! Paul
  • BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    Options
    Wrap in tin foil and finish in a very hot oven. The pork even pulls better.
  • Midnight Smoker,[p]Good deal all is well! Mke in MN is dead on target and so is wrapping in foil.[p]Best!
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Midnight Smoker,
    Excellent advise below from others. I use an oven therm to monitor the rack temp and position it to see through the top vent. At low temps, every time you open the lid, you can add about 15 minutes to your cook time....if your lookin, your not cookin.

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    thirdeye,
    I think the 15 minute rule really only applies to cheap metal smokers. Raise the lid and the internal temp will be back up to normal within a couple of minutes. Ceramics make a tremendous difference.
    TNW

The Naked Whiz