Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket ? Please...

sirlancealot
sirlancealot Posts: 506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just put my first brisket on 8lb"r, the question is, i had the egg stabalized at 250deg, put brisket on and the dome temp dropped to 220deg. do i adjust or will it come back up on it"s own? And how long should it take? so i"ll know wether to adjust or not?

Also i stuck the digital probe in the thickest part of the meat from the side i hope everything works out ok. I would really hate to mess this meat up. any pointers would be appreciated and do you think it should take about 12hrs? Do i pull at 190deg? How do i know when to pull? thanks for your responses..

Comments

• ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    It will some back up to temp. Don't adjust anything. Your brisket could take anywhere between 8-16+ hours. you'll have to use the toothpick test or twisting the fork test to see if it's done.
  • thanks 4 the response, I"ll give it about 1hr. then adjust i guess.
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    You shouldn't have to. Brisket is a hard cook and I am nowhere close to perfecting it but I can say that you shouldn't have to adjust your temp. If you had your egg stabilized, and I mean really stabilized, you should be good. Brisket is not "done" at a certain temp like a pork butt. The only way I know how to make sure the brisket is done is the toothpick or fork test. Good luck! Hopefully some better qualified and experienced people can help you further.

BTW- if it does come out dry you could chunk it and use it for chili!
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    My last 15 pound brisket took about 16 hours which was faster than I expected. Each brisket is different. Use the fork test to decide when it is done.

There is a lot of great info here:
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

You have some good advice above. For now don't play with your vents.

If you have a whole brisket that is a flat and point it sounds like you are reading the temperature in the point. The thinner part, the flat, will be done before the point and the point will need a little more cook time.

Your 'fork tender' or 'tooth pick' tender will be somewhere between 190° and 200° DON'T cook to time. Cook to temperature and when it is tender.

Seems like you are heading for a late night or early morning finish on this one.

This is a fun cook and it is fairly easy to get a good tasting brisket.

However, for me to get a brisket the way I want it is a real challenge. I have only seen a handful of forum members post pictures of what I would consider a great brisket.

With that said, I will take my 'pretty good' brisket over any of the local so called fantastic bbq houses that I have visited.

GG
  • Thanks Grandpa grub, I"m in for the long haul. I put it on at 7:20pm est. so i guess at least 12hrs. minimum. Yes i do have the probe stuck in the point all the way in from the side. Thanks 4 the advice..