Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burgoo/BBQ Mutton?

Bob V
Bob V Posts: 195
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This morning's NPR had a section visiting church fundraisings around Owensboro Kentucky that have been going on for over 150 years. In NC we have pig-pickings and Brunswick stew, apparently in Kentucky they have BBQ mutton and burgoo.[p]I've never seen any recipes for BBQ lamb or mutton. Anyone ever try it? The folks in KY described a baste made out of "lard, margerine, and lemon" but didn't describe what wood the smoke was done on. The process sounded almost exactly like NC BBQ, running all the way through the night.[p]They also referenced a recipe for burgoo on the NPR site...[p]Anyone on the forum from KY who can shed light on this?[p]Bob V

Comments

• Bob V,
    This website ought to help. www.moonlite.com

[ul][li]http://www.moonlite.com/index.htm[/ul]
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    burgoo2.jpg
    <p />Bob V:[p]Check out the pictures on The Burgoo Page . . .

[ul][li]The Burgoo Page[/ul]
  • djm5x9,
    that was really interesting. . ..next time i see a dead opposum on the side of the road, i'll know what to do with him. . ..

• djm5x9
    mad max beyond eggdome:[p]Sounds like you would really appreciate the original Southern ingredients that went into Brunswick stew!

• mad max beyond eggdome,
    There was one guy on the program who admitted there might be a squirrel or two in there as well...
    hs

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    HolySmokes,[p]Admitted? That's like admitting to driving 2 mph over the speed limit. Of COURSE there's squirrel in it. I only hope it was found alive and not with a tire mark across its back and tail...
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Mark Backer,
    YOU call it "a tire mark" - I call it "tenderization". <grin>[p]Ken

• BlueSmoke
    Bob V,
    When I was through Owensboro last year, it smelled to me like they were using hickory and/or oak. And in my book, there are only two words for barbecued mutton: More please.[p]Ken[p]Ken

• Mark Backer
    BlueSmoke,[p]If it's a gravel road, you could call the gritty parts "seasoning."[p]By the way bluesmoke, I actually laughed out loud in my cube when I read this response. Thanks.
  • BlueSmoke
    Mark Backer,
    "nothin' could be fin-a
    than to be in Carolina
    eatin' asphalt-crusted possum
    in the more-or-ning..."[p]Ken

• Mark Backer
    BlueSmoke,[p]Nothing could be sweeter
    than to hear my brother Peter
    killed a possum with his Ford Pinto
    in the more-or-ning.

• Mark Backer,
    you two are seriously funny...not kidding...you ought to start your own show.

• djm5x9,
    man that sure gets them Irish roots churning. Mutton, what an interesting subject...I have heard, right here in N. Georgia people say that, the best BBQ was made of goat. Can't say myself because I haven't had the pleasure of trying any.

• Bob V
    Bob V Posts: 195
    But has anyonme tried to do mutton on the Egg? What cuts do you use? The normal thing you find in a store is leg of lamb. Pork shoulder I understand, but what part of a sheep do we Q? I think of mutton as fairly "greasy", which would probably mean not a lot of baisting, but then I also don't think of it as well marbled, so does the 160-180 collagen break hold? Cook to 200 internal?[p]Inquiring minds want to know...[p]Bob V

• BlueSmoke
    Bob V,
    The Owensboro folks roast the whole critter; other than legs and chops, all I've seen in the store is ribs/breast. Do them just like you would pork spares, with plenty of time for the fat to render.[p]Ken

• djm5x9
    Chet:[p]When my Uncles were alive they used to keep a large heard of goats . . . And they were not pets . . .[p]They were good eating off the pit (in the ground) as well as finding their way in a large pot of Brunswick stew along with squirrels and a few other varmints. With regularity, I see goat at the gourmet markets in the Buford Highway section of Atlanta, might have to get some this weekend.[p]I have linked a revised family Brunswick stew recipe along with a modification if you are interested.
    [ul][li]Brunswick Stew[/ul]
  • BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    BlueSmoke,
    On our way down to the Jack this year, we stopped in Owensboro for the mutton and we also thought it was great. A bonus for us was that we got a tour of the place. They actually bring in the actual whole sheep from Texas (the breeds there are the biggest apparently), but they do have a prep area where it is broken down into component parts. The shoulders and hams go on the cooker for their pulled/chopped mutton on the buffet. The ribs are an occasional special item. The remainder (shanks, neck bones and fat) go into a pot to boil down for the burgoo. They do indeed use the entire animal, but it all doesn't go for the bbq.
    As for the pit, it is litererally that: a pit in the floor, that's about 15X25. The fire is about 6 feet below the meat racks and they use all hickory logs cut in 3' pieces. The pitmen toss these on as necessary and we were told they have been doing it so long they can pretty much hit any spot within that pit area (if they are off a bit, there is a long-handled poker they can use for re-positioning).
    It is quite an operation to behold and we were thrilled to be able to track down the manager to give us the tour.
    I mentioned how I thought mutton would be gamey but there was none of that distinct lamb smell going on. He says it's the long slow cook (14-16 hrs for shoulders and hams) and the 'dip' they use, which I've managed to find a recipe of, should anyone want it for basting a mutton roast.
    Qfan
    ps--I've been hunting down mutton myself since my return without much luck so far. I have some area lamb farmers aware of my desire should they slaughter an older animal in the near future.

• Chet,
    Years ago in Arizona, we raised Angus and Herefords for our family beef, and kept a small herd of 20-30 goats. Once or twice a year we would have a large pit Bar-B-Q for all of our friends and family. Our city-slicker friends were appalled that we could even think of eating those "cute" little critters. Well, you can guess what type of meat got 'et up first!
    We would always stash a little "chivo" for the Holidays to have a tamale making party. I hope you get an opportunity to give it a try, I'm sure you'll be pleased.[p]D.B.

• Bob V,[p]I am not sure I can help you much on the BBQ side of mutton. However being raised on a sheep station (ranch) we used to get a lot of mutton in my youth. Probably it is an acquired taste but I have no problem with the taste of it. In fact some time ago I have even asked my butcher for some hogget (about 1 year old so not quite mutton) for cooking on the egg.[p]Mutton, being older, has a stronger taste and is less marbled than lamb. But it often has a lot of fat on the outside. It is tougher but not that tough. So maybe a low n' slow will break it down or possibly create something too tough. I prefer sheep meat well done and cooked in-direct on a high heat (450+).[p]If you go the high heat route then trim a fair amount of the fat off. You'll end up with a nice outside layer that is not too fatty to eat. Rub some salt, oil, garlic and dried herbs on the outside.[p]As an aside, if you are into Indian cooking then mutton is more authentic than lamb in meat curries.