Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is it bad that I let my Pork Butts go for 26hrs...

SmokinSoCal
SmokinSoCal Posts: 145
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have done it a ton of times before, but just curious.... I usually load 2 shoulders total weight 22 pounds. and let it go for approx 26 hours at 230 degrees dome temp. Of course I use a BBQ Guru to regulate. Results have been great but Im just curious.

Thanks!

Since everone so AWESOME with the replies.... I opened the lid for a pic... Ahhhhhh

pork.jpg

Comments

• I have had a few butt cooks go 24-30 hours and I never had problems. I imagine as lngwd as temp maintained at a safe level all is well. So when is lunch?
  • Seems long to me. The last whole shouder I did went for 18.5 hrs. Final meat temp was 192-201, depending on where i measured. my dome temp was probably more like 245 though, so that might account for the diff.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    I stay with 250 dome temp. That's just me. Tim :)

I don't know if it's bad but, it sure is drawn out.

Do they seem to have plenty of moisture?
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    SmokinSoCal,

I have had them go that long at 250*

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    230 dome puts the temp at the grid around 200 or so. It will take forever to get to 195. Best to run at 250-270. Food will get done sooner, use less charcoal and taste better.
  • PhilsGrill wrote:
    230 dome puts the temp at the grid around 200 or so. It will take forever to get to 195. Best to run at 250-270. Food will get done sooner, use less charcoal and taste better.

Ok, so this is what I was looking for... Please explain the taste better part. That's what I am curious about and why you feel it will taste better.

Thanks!
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Very simple, you are eating sooner therfore it taste better because you don't have to wait 26 hours! :laugh:
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    I have two 10 pound butts going as we speak. They've been on for 20 hours at 250. The egg has been chugging along with no guru and has been spot-on temp wise. This is my first time injecting them..Fab P and apple juice ala Fred Bernardo. 189 degrees and rising! I can't wait :P . But, I guess I'll have to :(
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Oooh! Probably great! I've made many a Guinness Stew :P Be a sport, Tweev. Come to Plano in Nov. and we'll cook one. :)
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    You have to give me two hours notice when lunch is!! I can test the PP for you and as an official tastetester I will need an official adult libation!

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • Let me know how that injection worked, I'm thinking about trying it on my next butt.

I just did a butt (8 lbs) last week for 22-23 hours at 210 degrees dome temp for most of the cook, then 235 for the last 5-6 hours.

Personally I like this method better than any I've tried. I don't think it adds anything to the taste, but I like the fact that you can put it on one day at a conveniant time and it's ready around the same time the next day. Everything else I've tried means either starting at an odd time or finishing at an odd time

BTW, in my XL, well over half of the coal was left over, so I don't really think wasting coal is a huge issue, at least not to me.

This don't work for everyone, or even the majority, but it works for me...and that's who I'm cooking for. ;)

Happy Pulling!
    Tim
  • No, but I know what I'm like full of Magic Hat! :woohoo:
  • KMagnus
    KMagnus Posts: 114
    That's hilarious - because it's the same thing I was thinking :laugh: