Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's you favorite non-Egg cook?

Tim Fowler
Tim Fowler Posts: 30
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know, I know. I'll ask for forgiveness while facing Atlanta right after I post this, but until then...

Are there somethings you cook that you feel are just fine done stovetop/oven/other?

Today, my favorite non-Egg cook is going to be Adobo chicken in a crock pot (slightly modified version of Dennis Huff's recipe), but I don't know what tomorrow's favorite will be yet.

On a side note, what is the most untraditional thing you've ever tried to cook on the Egg. By untraditional I mean something most people would never consider cooking on a grill.

Thanks for your replies,
Tim

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Don't remember the last time I turned on the oven. Literally.

As for question #2, not very exotic, but people always act shocked when I tell them I baked a chocolate cake "on a grill". :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Our oven hasn't been on since July 2, the day the Egg came home :laugh:
    Just got a dutch oven so it will stay off for a while.

Everyone still freaks when I tell them about baking bread on the Egg :)
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    Fettucine Alfredo
  • I live in the deep south, and have never had any sushi that I would consider good. Not bad, but just not something that made me want to try it again, at least from my sources. I'm hoping it's like the difference between bagels you buy in the grocery store versus bagels you buy fresh in NY city.

That being said, I'll be going to Japan in a few weeks, so I am looking forward to trying sushi there.

Cheers,
    Tim
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    OK, I'll give you a list....

So for starters - hummm, I'm blank...... :S

OH, I know, nope, cook that on the Egg also... :cheer:

Well, there always hummm, blank again..... :laugh:

Thinking about it a little more... what an oven and stove top???? :whistle:
    Kent Madison MS
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Spaghetti sauce from scratch is something I still prefer stovetop although most of the sauce ends up in recipes on the egg. As for the oven,,,, none
    People laughed when I grilled marrow bones for the dogs :laugh:
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Patio,

I've taken to doing pasta sauces on the egg. Plum tomatoes are comin in big time and you can't beat fire roasted tomato sauce with fire roasted garlic.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Hey Steve I agree it could be good but I don't like simmering tomatoes in the CI all day plus it makes the whole house smell good :laugh:
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Get yourself an enameled one. I still haven't done red gravy in the egg for the smell o reason.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Nuking some previously egged cook. :)

GG
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    I like doing overnight cooks in the oven like soups and stocks. I also do pork butt overnight in the oven sometimes. I have a great overnight cheesecake that I like to do in the oven.

I also like to roast chicken but I don't do that very often. Roast potatoes come out great in our oven, we do those fairly often. I do pizzas directly on the floor of the hottest oven.

I don't use my stovetop ex for things like boiling water. Oh, I love doing quesadillas directly on my simmering plate (stovetop). Our oven is designed so that you use the ovens much more often than the stovetop.