Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Receipe, Maryland Blue Crabs

Options
dbCooper
dbCooper Posts: 2,081
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I learned about Maryland Blues many years ago, side result of a romantic pursuit that took place in Lewes, Delaware. That pursuit cooled abruptly after only six months, but the love of Maryland Blues remains. And don't even get me started on how I miss Grotto Pizza.....

These crabs are now available locally to me here in the Great Plains. I am well versed in traditional methods to cook these guys.... steaming or boiling, but I'd like to try them on my BGE.

Anyone have experience with this? Care to share your method and results? Or, is this a wild, harebrained idea that will end up badly?

Kind regards,
dbCooper
LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
Great Plains, USA

Comments

• ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Options
    I don't have pics so I guess this didn't happen...I have taken previously steamed crabs, cleaned out the shells, made crab cakes out of the meat, stuffed the cleaned shells, and baked them. Does that sound like something you are looking for?
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    Thanks Jagermeister, that is helpful.

I am interested in any experiences with these on the Egg..... everything from cooking whole to crab cakes to bisque to chowder to ???.

My supplier will be getting a shipment later this week, hoping to get ideas to experiment with next weekend.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
    Crabs must be steamed IMHO.
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Options
    I agree with bobby. Anything other than steaming crab is a sin in MD. Although some seafood joints here will boil them because it's easier. I won't buy crabs from those places. Steamed crab with H2O, a beer, apple cider vinegar, and J.O. What you do with the crab afterwards is up to you.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I would make garlic crabs. Just cook it on the egg in the biggest pot you have. This recipe is using dungeness, but blue crabs work just as well. I leave them whole when I do it.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/michael-chiarello/famous-roast-garlic-crab-recipe/index.html

I know you wanted a Maryland recipe, but this is the only way I have made them.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini