Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt prep Question

Options
Blizzard58
Blizzard58 Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was wondering if you were supposed to cut excess fat of before applying the rub

Comments

• crmilt
    crmilt Posts: 115
    Options
    I have done it both ways. Most recipes I have seen here on the forum say to leave the fat cap on. Last time I cut it off in order to get more bark. I am going to cut it off again tomorrow.
    __________ Chris
  • Blizzard58
    Options
    If I leave cap on do I cook it cap up or down
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I was taught fat cap up. Most around here disagree. I tried it once with the cap down. Didn't really notice any difference.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Waterscapes
    Options
    I like the cap up.
  • GeorgiaBorn
    Options
    I find that the fat will render into the meat on pork and not so much on brisket, so I like fat up on pork and fat down on brisket.