Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best way to pull pork?

Options
CAEggFan
CAEggFan Posts: 31
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My pork butt should be done in a few hours. How does one pull it so it resembles carolina pulled pork bbq?

Comments

• bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    your hands... :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Lots of folks simply use their hands with some thick rubber gloves.

I use two table forks and shred.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Actually, I've never had pulled pork in NC that was just pulled. It may exist, but in the 5-6 years I lived there, and the subsequent 30-some years of in-law visits, I never saw a single place that served it.

As Pete recently said... "Yes, chopped. Deal with it." Or words to that effect. :lol:

Watch the vid, do what Chris Lilly does, maybe a bit longer, and you'll nail NC Q. Two cleavers work well too. :) And don't forget the vinegar sauce (as seen here)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj8M6KOkyw8

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Loved it Michael.....!!!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Glad to help. :) I don't usually do the two cleaver thing. I like it better that way, but it does make rather a mess!! :lol:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• civil eggineer
    Options
    A couple of forks work well to really shred things up. Personally, I would rather have a chunky consistancy rather then shredded but there is no wrong way.
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Options
    When I pulled mine off this morning I used two forks to do the shredding. Going to have some pork sandwiches for dinner!
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • CAEggFan
    CAEggFan Posts: 31
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • grillmandan
    Options