Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Freezing Fresh Sweet Corn

Options
CaptainSpaulding
CaptainSpaulding Posts: 368
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I remember discussing this with Hoss after our farm fresh supply ran out last season, but don't remember details.

In a nutshell, what's the best method for storing away some sweet corn for grilling later?

A. Husk on, unwrapped.
B. Husk on, in plastic bags.
C Husked and bagged.
D. Husked and blanched, foodsavered.
E. Husked and grilled, foodsavered with butter in the pack to be rewarmed in boiling water.

Give me all your tips, eggheads!

Joe

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I'd say D or E. The corn needs to be blanched so that it retains its sweetness. If its grilled and saved w. butter, there should be some strong flavor when thawed. Myself, I like the simpler flavor when I thaw a bag in January. A reminder of the light taste of fresh corn when amidst the dark days of mid-winter.
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    We husk, foodsaver in bags, and then freeze. Works well for us.

Spin
  • Spin
    Options
    We used to blanch the corn first, but found that it is actually a bit sweeter if it is frozen fresh. Have done it this way for years and have yet to find a better way.

Spin
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Well, then I guess I've wasted a ood bit of boiling water! I will try this with some of the corn I just bought. The info I had was that after picking, enzymes in the corn began to brake down the sugar to starch, and that those enzymes would continue to work even when the corn was frozen.

Again, I'll give it a try.
  • Spin
    Options
    Freezing does stops the breakdown or at least slows it to a point where one year in the freezer is not a problem. Buy, husk, and freeze as quickly as possible.

Spin