Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg for camping

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm considering buying a small egg to take camping with my family. Can anyone offer advice on size? I'm thinking a small will be easy enough to handle by myself, but have never lifted one. I think it would also be a nice compliment to my large at home.

Comments

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    GaEgghead,
    For me, a small is a bit heavy for camping. I have a mini that I can transport easily. I have learned hoe to cook a lot of small food.
    Your idea of "camping" and mine differ greatly, I'm sure!
    JCA

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    GaEgghead,
    As Julie said..the mini is by far the most portable, however I tote my small with me on many occasions and it is not to much for one man to handle...2 people makes it much easier, someone posted directions to build an egg transporter ( was that you Grillmeister ) and it makes things so much easier, hopefully the will respond with a link to the directions for building the transporter.....HTH[p]
    Wess

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    OurCamp.jpg
    <p />GaEgghead,
    Last January we took the large and the medium camping in West Virginia. Of course this is car camping, so we only had to shlepp the eggs a hundred feet or so. We ate like kings even though the temp never got above 15 degrees or so during the hottest part of the day. [p]For one to three people, I think a small is perfect. But a medium is not hard to move around, and I would not hesitate to bring my medium camping....even with just 2 people. I guess what I am trying to say, is bring what you, your vehicle, and your fellow campers can handle.[p]And happy campin!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Buzzy
    Buzzy Posts: 29
    GaEgghead,[p]Just got a small at Eggtoberfest to take camping and as long as you don't have to go far from the car or truck it will be great. The small weighs about 65#, so you won't want to carry it far. [p]I was at Target last night and picked up a heavy duty luggage carrier with large wheels which I hope will help this weekend with the tote. It is supposed to be rated to 250# and I think I can strap the small down nicely. It also folds almost flat to help with the packing. [p]BGE in Atlanta had a special last week with a ceramic deflector, extra grill, pizza stone and fire ring for about $70 (I think) which will allow indirect cooking and also baking in the small. [p]The small is a good size for cooking for a family with some kids. I didn't think that a mini would give me enough room for my family. I also didn't think I would be able to get a dutch oven in the mini.[p]BTW to help the small cool down faster last trip I took out the fire box and fire ring and I also pulled the coals out with a small shovel.[p]Kent
  • What are the coolers for, keeping the beer from freezing? Days like that most likely let you have the woods to yourself. Looks Fun.
    Happy camping and Eggin to you!!
    Poppasam

• yaB
    yaB Posts: 137
    buzzy,
    What is the "ceramic deflector" of which you speak? Can you describe it in more detail? I hope to acquire a small Egg in the not-too-distant future. Thanks.[p]Bob

• katman
    katman Posts: 331
    buzzy,[p]What is the "ceramic deflector" you mentioned? Also, what size pizza stone were they offering as part of the package?

• Buzzy
    Buzzy Posts: 29
    katman,[p]It is a small ceramic dish that fits inside the fire ring and can be used to hold up a pizza stone or a pie dish to collect liquids. It acts like a plate setter for the small egg. It is about 9" in diameter.[p]Kent
  • WMK
    WMK Posts: 1,747
    Testing a reply to this message.
    WMK

• WMK
    WMK Posts: 1,747
    testing failed message replies again.
    WMK

• Thanks for all your replies!
    I stopped by the egg store on Clairmont Rd. and bought the small egg - B.A. helped me out. I'm taking it camping this weekend at Lake Lanier (Old Federal state park) with the wife, kids and pop-up camper.
    I can also see using it for small cooks at home - like steaks for two, as well as other things while doing the long cooks. [p]Jeff

• GaEgghead,
    If you are backpacking, it would be out of the question.

• katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Thanks buzzy. I got one of those this past summer and thought maybe there was somethin new. The dish works okay, but I was hoping there would be something like a platesetter soon for the small that has a bit more leg elevation (and larger diameter).[p]