Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Medium BGE

407BGE
407BGE Posts: 187
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I think that I have a deal on a medium BGE. Its missing the fire ring and the fire bowl has a small crack but they are only asking $150.

How much is a replacement fire ring? And how much is a fire bowl replacement when it ultimately goes?

Anyone devise a rig to cook with a fire ring? This will be egg #3 and is for camping only.

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    I'd say you're getting a good enough deal that you can replace what's missing or broke. It just won't be under the BGE Warranty.

There's a Medium on Craigs List (Houston area) for $500.

http://houston.craigslist.org/hsh/1911596190.html

When I see someone selling a Big Green Egg in the Houston area I usually contact them to try and talk them out of selling it. Most of them have never heard of 'Eggfests' or watched videos or read the book or visited the Forum. Some even used brickettes or said couldn't understand why nothing ever tasted as good as their gasser.

In most cases I was wasting my time. Some people just aren't meant to own an Egg.

Spring "Meant To Own Eggs" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    never gave it much thought but if you purchased the firebox or ring, would those pieces be warranteed
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    You would think so...
    But I have see posts in the past where
    dealers claim no.
    I have not had this issue so I have not pushed or asked BGE direct. This would be a good place for BGE to step in and post.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Spring Chicken
    Interesting question. I really haven't had many problems with my Eggs. The Large (Lily) was purchased from BBQ Outfitters in 1999. I've only had to replace the fire pit once and the old ceramic grate once (replaced with cast iron). Atlanta charged for the shipping but nothing else.

I suspect that if you purchased a fire pit for a garage sale Egg, the new fire pit would not be covered because it's the Egg as purchased new (Including guts) from a dealer that is under warranty. But I could be wrong.

Spring "Guaranteed For Life" Chicken
  • BurntRaw
    BurntRaw Posts: 565
    The League City shop wanted to charge me for a new fire box a couple of years ago - even though I had purchased two eggs and all my accessories there.

We argued about it for two months, then they finally contacted me and said they had a new one in so I stopped my to pick it up and, just my luck, it was sold that morning. Two months later they contacted me again, I stopped by, they brought it out, and then rung it up on the register and waited for payment.

We went around-and-around again as she tried to make a couple of calls and then told me that I would have to get it from Atlanta because they still have to pay the distributor. So after making a bit of scene in the store they let me walk out with it but they were NOT HAPPY (and I wasn't exactly pleased either).

Haven't been back there in a long time so hopefully they got it straightened out...
  • Photo Egg
    Very sorry to hear your story. 4 or 5 years ago they were an Egg dealer in theory. They stocked the bare min and did not seem to care much about selling or keeping up with BGE.
    I purchased my first XL BGE there before they stocked them and to be honest the XL came on the market very quiet and they did not know about them on my first visit looking to buy. I would say they are now very Pro Egg. They sell and stock nearly every thing BGE sells. About a year ago they replaced my fire ring at no charge with a smile.
    I stop by and visit Chim-Chimneys all the time. They are just a great bunch of people.
    Stop by and visit again. Patty is my main contact but they have all been great.
    Take care,
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Spring Chicken
    In June of last year we heard Chim-Chimney's was having a sort of Open House with the Big Green Egg being the main attraction. So our neighbors (non-Eggheads in spite of my efforts) joined up with us to go down and see if we could help stir up interest in the Egg. It was a fun trip and we heard later that we helped generate some new Eggheads.

Interestingly, our neighbors won a Medium Egg. Now they have three Eggs and cook on them all the time.

What was most interesting was the enthusiasm the entire staff at Chim-Chimney's has for the Big Green Egg. I even made a movie of the event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UFPYqXDYWA

Sorry to hear that you had problems but I think you will find that things are much different today.

Spring "Happy Eggheads And Enthusiastic Egg Dealers Go Together Well" Chicken
  • BurntRaw
    BurntRaw Posts: 565
    Don't get me wrong, I have always thought they were / are a great bunch of folks - they are the ones that talked me into getting my first egg 6 or 7 years ago. They even had a stack of your Spring Chicken business cards on the counter at the time and they told me about the forum.

My issue was the lack of knowledge on warranty claims and the amount of time it took to get it resolved. And dealing with issues after a sale.

When I was working in the area (again this is a few years back) I talked six of my clients into going there and getting their first egg. As you know they assemble all their eggs and one of my client, on her first use, had the top come out of the band and humpty-dumty on the patio. She was told to call Atlanta and pay for the replacement.

Boy, did I get an ear full after that.

I am not saying that they are bad people...but maybe the business side needs a bit of a tune-up.

I am glad to see that you guys are saying that it has changed - I may have to make another visit.
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    I've been dealing with Chim-chimneys since my first Egg purchase about 3 years ago. Nothing but fantastic experiences! On my first trip in there I was ready to buy an XL. After talking with me they thought I only needed a Large. Note, they had just sold their last Large and had an XL in stock but they were still more interested in getting me the right size than selling the more expensive product in stock.

They have even come to my house twice to replace gaskets at no charge. They would not even accept payment for the gasket itself.

Just so there is no confusion there used to be a dealer that sold BGE's in League City on the freeway. They are still in business but do not carry BGE's anymore. Again, I have never had a problem with the current dealer - Chim-Chimney's.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • Photo Egg
    Oh... Man...You are correct.
    The pool and spa place on the west side of 45 used to sell BGE. I went in there some years ago as they were listed as a dealer on the BGE site. They had zero in stock and told me they had to stop selling BGE because they were all breaking and getting returned.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    That is correct. All ceramic parts for the egg bought from BGE have a full lifetime warranty. So your new firebox and ring will be covered fully for life.
  • I would check with a dealer. I bought a base and a dome from someone, and I was able to convince a dealer to sell me everything else found in the box except the shell of the egg (bands, fire grate, feet, everything). Worth a try. Otherwise I have bought a fire ring directly from bge and they told me there was a warranty on it directly from them.
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    PhotoEgg: Actually, I think they stopped because BGE wouldn't let them sell any more. It was really strange to have two BGE dealers within a mile of each other. It was obvious that ChimChimney was committed to selling Eggs and the Freeway location really was not. When I was in the freeway location they all but told me they were forced to quit selling them and only had two left in stock, neither the size I was looking for. I then went down the street to Chim-Chimneys and they have been like family ever since.

Freddie
    League City, TX