Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Substitute for place setter?

Options
BullyQue
BullyQue Posts: 48
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is there something else that you can use for indirect. It just seems like a waste to spend $50 on a pizza stone with legs.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options
    pizza stone, fire bricks, metal pan, all those work for indirect cooks. unless your baking bread or pizza, i dont see the extra mass of the platesetter adding much to the cook and to heat that extra mass your wasting alot of lump. with bread baking you want quick recovery times with temps and the extra mass helps, a pan filled with sand will do that just as well, i dont own a platesetter and never will, not needed
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options
    firebricks come in handy, you can raise a grid for direct cooks, lay some flat between two standing and you have an inderect cook. for roasting and low and slows a 13.5 inch paella pan works great and the pan comes in handy for alot of different cooks

2005204219.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    Fishlessman gave one good example of how to get by without a plate setter. I think if you search around you will find many more ways to cook indirect. I initially thought the plate setter was a little pricey but after using it I find the convenience and versatility worth it.
  • Groundhog66
    Options
    Before I got my plate setter, I used a cooling rack with legs on the grate, and put a multi folded sheet of tinfoil under it....worked great.
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    Substitute for place setter?

How about a French maid?
  • BurntRaw
    BurntRaw Posts: 565
    Options
    I have said it before and I will say it now - I cannot understand why a platesetter is not included with the sale of the Egg - no indirect...no smoker!

Maybe they should change the slogan to "World's Best Grill unless you buy accessories and / or fabricate your own barrier to make the grill indirect then it is the World's Best Smoker."
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Spyder and sm pizza stone or pan works just fine.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Brokersmoker
    Options
    It may be a pizza stone with legs, but I would not be without mine. I use it on close to 1/2 if not nore of my cooks. Didn't know the price came as package deal with my demo bought a yr ago, but if I lost it, or broke it beyond use or repair I would make a special trip to buy a new one!
  • Memphistide
    Options
    I use the spider and a small pizza stone
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Options
    Haven't used my plaTesetter since getting a spider and BGE stone.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    On the contrary, the plate setter is an elegant solution to both indirect and raising a stone so you can use a peel. I have l, m and s and have had them for many years. I'm very glad I bought them.

And it is worth noting that a spider and a small pizza stone is $60, fwiw....
    The Naked Whiz
  • Hungry Joe
    Options
    At the very least they should offer package deals from the mothership level. Some dealers sell them like this but for the most part in my area they sell À la carte.
  • Hungry Joe
    Options
    I've only used the spider and pizza stone once for an indirect cook that ended up lasting more then 20 hours and ran out of fuel. No one else seems to have this problem but since then I've used the plate setter and just packed my butts in there.