Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Five AM Butt Check...Oh Boy

Options
'Q Bruddah
'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I came home last night from a meeting about 9:15 and cleaned out my egg for a low and slow. A little mesquite on the bottom with some hickory mixed in and topped off with RO. I had it lit by 9:30, in the dark and it was still a young 225° at ten when I put a couple of bone-in butts on. I "guessed" from experience that I was set for 250° but that the fire just had not come up yet.

It is now 5 AM, the egg is "chuggin' and gurglin'" happily at 250° and the meat is 181°. I am drinking a cup of coffee and there is the smell of smoke in the 'hood. I am a happy man. This is my third butt cook and the smoothest to date. I still run without draft control. Experience is a good thing.

So, rather than a post by a nervous newbie in trouble with some aspect of an all nighter this is a post by a satisfied owner of the World's Best Smoker having fun just as it should be.

Comments

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Great news!

Take the day off and celebrate! :woohoo: :silly:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • 'Q Bruddah
    Options
    loco,
    The celebration will be later today when I take the pulled pork to a potluck picnic where there will be a whole lot of grillin' going on. Many don't know BBQ, all they know is the grill. So, it will be my treat to teach them.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    When did you ever think you would say "Five AM Butt Check...Oh Boy" :ohmy: :whistle:
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Taking a smoke to a grill fight eh? I say the odds are in your favor. B) Have a great day. :) Tim
  • 'Q Bruddah
    Options
    Thanks for getting me laughing early. You are right, out of context it is pretty funny. "Five AM Pork Shoulder Check...Oh Boy" doesn't have the same ring. I admit the humor didn't even occur to me at 5AM.
  • 'Q Bruddah
    Options
    Thanks, Tim, and Good morning to you. Yep, trying to teach them there's a world beyond Weber..
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    I tried a 5 am butt check this morning, but got slapped! :ohmy: :laugh:

Seriously, sounds like you've got things under great control.

Enjoy!