Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The 22 hour Bost Butt

Options
Tim Fowler
Tim Fowler Posts: 30
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
If this link works, here's a picture of last nights/todays Boston Butt.

glowfoto

First, I brined for 48 hours. I don't remember where I got this brine recipe...probably here.

1 Gallon Water
3/4 Cup Kosher Salt
3/4 Cup White Sugar
1/2 Tbsp Black Pepper
1/2 Tbsp Onion Powder
1/2 tsp Granulated Garlic
1/2 tsp Cayenne
1/4 tsp Marjoram
1/4 tsp Thyme
1/4 tsp Cumin

Bring all ingrediants to a boil, then simmered for about 30 minutes before allowing to cool.

After brining, I rubbed using BGE's Sweet Maple Seasoning. I just love this stuff. I haven't found a piece of meat it doesn't taste good on.

I let the rubbed butt sit in the fridge for maybe two hours while my Egg, with plate setter in place, very slowly worked it's way to 210 degrees.

Once the temp was reached, I removed the plate setter and added an abudant amount of Mesquite, both small and large pieces, spread to where there would always be some wood wherever the coals were burning. After that I returned the plate setter, put the butt in my rib rack turned upside down, inserted my temp probe, and closed the dome.

Once the temperature returned to 210 degrees, it never moved again until I opened the bottom vent about a half inch 19 hours into the cook. The temperature rose to about 225-230 and smoked another 4 hours.

After I took the butt off, I wrapped and let it sit for about an hour before pulling. I would've waited longer, but I was hungry. I mixed in some apple cider vinegar and Bad Byron's Butt Rub with the pulled pork and enjoyed. I just wish there was a way to post smell and taste on here.

The picture is from when the butt was at about 185 degrees. I only opened it early so I could send a picture to my brother over in Japan before he went to bed because he can't get any good BBQ over there. Evil, I know.

Cheers,
Tim

"The man that has everything shops at Wal-Mart too"

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    no pic
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Tim Fowler
    Options
    Now how did you post my picture and I can't? One of these days I'll figure this technology out...then I'll die. But thanks Tweev.

Regards,
    Tim

"Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver!"
  • Tim Fowler
    Options
    Thanks again. I just tried something that loaded quick. On dial-up here, which is slower than the speed of smell. I'm thinking about using smoke signals for my ISP. Kill two birds with one stone, so to speak.

Cheers,
    Tim

"I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it"
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    Tell me about your thinking on "brining" a butt Tim?
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Tim Fowler
    Options
    When I took it off after 22 hours, the internal meat temp was 196 degrees. So I guess, yes, 22 hours was needed for this one. I was only smoking at 210 dome temp except for the last 4 hours or so when I raised it to around 225. It did take longer than I thought it would, but I was happy with the result. I also liked that fact that I could start it fairly early in the afternoon, enjoy the evening, get a good nights sleep and not be pulling pork first thing in the morning.

Cheers,
    Tim

"when my wife asks me why I always come home half drunk, I tell her it's because I keep running out of money."
  • Tim Fowler
    Options
    You know, I really haven't made up my mind on it. It's the first time I've brined one, and at least for me I'm not sure the taste outweighs the effort involved.

It's kind of like when I asked a girl why she got her tongue pierced, she told me it's because it improves oral sex. Now me, I always thought oral sex stood on its on pretty good.

Of course, it could all be this dang head cold/sinus infection I've been fighting for what seems like forever that's numbing my senses a bit.

Regards,
    Tim

"Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple"
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    When I took it off after 22 hours, the internal meat temp was 196 degrees. So I guess, yes, 22 hours was needed for this one. I was only smoking at 210 dome temp except for the last 4 hours or so when I raised it to around 225. It did take longer than I thought it would, but I was happy with the result. I also liked that fact that I could start it fairly early in the afternoon, enjoy the evening, get a good nights sleep and not be pulling pork first thing in the morning.

Not to be rude or hateful I believe I'm being truthful. I would say you had a forever butt cook because you had an extremely low dome temp. Consider cooking you butt at 250 dome that way it will not be so hard for the internal meat temp to reach 200 plus degrees. Tim ;)
  • Tim Fowler
    Options
    Chubby,

Like I said, my head/sinuses are clogged, but today it tastes pretty dang good.

Also, my wife took some with her to work and shared with a few people. Got compliments all around, including one "best bbq ever", and that was with no sauce.

I'm not ruling out brining yet.

Regards,
    Tim