Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermapen secrets?

Options
cherokeer
cherokeer Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been using my thermapen a few times. If the food is not on the egg it works great. However it is so fast of a reader that it seems to pick up the grill temp to some degree 180-200 no matter how fast I get it into the meat.

Are there any secrets to get a good read. Thanks

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Once in the meat/food the temperature, within a few seconds will read the meat/food temperature.

The Thermapen reads at the tip of the probe.

GG
  • Groundhog66
    Options
    Won't matter what it reads before you insert it into the meat, it will read correctly once in. And like posted above, it reads at the very tip.
  • cherokeer
    Options
    That's what I thought but it doesn't seem to come back down. If I take the food off of the grill and then measure it works fine.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    If thats the case, I'd take back. Yours isn't working right.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I'm sure this is not a secret but I always insert the probe at an angle into the food.
    This keeps the probe tip in the sweet spot longer and helps not to push to far into the target and get a reading from the hot other side.
    Seems like you might be probing to deep and going through your target center.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • reccitron
    reccitron Posts: 176
    Options
    Photo Egg wrote:
    I'm sure this is not a secret but I always insert the probe at an angle into the food.
    This keeps the probe tip in the sweet spot longer and helps not to push to far into the target and get a reading from the hot other side.
    Seems like you might be probing to deep and going through your target center.
    Darian

I do it similar to Photo Egg.
    For food such as steaks or roasts, insert it from the side. When you insert from the top you take the chance of pushing it all the way through and measuring your grate temp.