Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Butt Jitters: Quick advice?

Options
ThunderBunny
ThunderBunny Posts: 132
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Afternoon all. I've got the week off and am going to try something that has kind of intimidated me for a while...Boston Butt.
Going to get the 4.77lb beast dressed this evening/cooked tomorrow.
Planning on injecting - no particular reason, just want to try my hand at it. I have some fresh chicken stock and apple cider in the fridge. Would it be gross to mix the two for an injection solution?
Also - indirect cook, right?
And at 5 pounds, I should plan on a 10 hour cook? That's (obviously) 2 hours per pound?
And should the meat go in the cooker straight out of the icebox, or should it be allowed to get to room temp first?
Thanks much...

Comments

• NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    I can't help you about injecting. I don't do it.

As for the other stuff. I take mine out of the fridge, coke with mustard (usually), then add a dry rub and on to the EGG.

Yes cook it indirect between 225 and 250. I usually go for 250. Wait till the meat reads 200. That number varies with who you ask. It's edible before that. Then wrap it in foil to rest. I do the towel and cooler deal.

Good luck. Nothing to it. Oh and I use hickory and mix in maple as well for my smoke.
  • So Cal EGGhead
    Options
    Holy cow that is a lot of questions. That is what we are here for.

Injections are easy and depend on the meat. Butts accept liquid really well and can take quite a bit of injection. The mixture is questionable. You just have to try it and see how it works. Experimenting is the most fun with the EGG.

Always cook with the plate setter when doing slow cooks. It will prevent the bottom of the meat from charring.

The time depends on the temerature you are cooking at. At 225 degrees, you should be close to 2 hours a pound.

One great thing about the EGG is that you can go straight on the grill from the fridge. There is a lot of debate over this, and I am sure I will get replies to this countering my post. Fact is, it does not make a difference because of how the EGG cooks.

I hope this helps. Good luck!
  • bobSTL
    bobSTL Posts: 105
    Options
    NC;
    Just did a 8 lb. butt on Saturday, and I agree, I use hickory and mix in Apple as well for my smoke. (Just used wood this time, and improved the taste)
    Go search the forum and you will find a ton of butt's. But, don't be afraid, just keep egg at 250 indirect, and pull at 200, rest and pull and have the best darn pork you have ever tasted!!! I guarantee ! ! !

Thanks, Bob
  • So Cal EGGhead
    Options
    Sorry. We were replying at the same time.

Temp does vary with each user. Anything between 190 and 200 is great. I too wrap in foil and allow to rest in a coller for a minimum of 30 minutes.
  • KMagnus
    KMagnus Posts: 114
    Options
    As for you injection combination, you'll want to stick with flavors that will compliment the meat. So, uncertain if I would use the chicken stock. Most injection recipes I've used for butts contain apple juice, shots of Worcestershire, soy, hot sauce, Old Bay, turbinado sugar - it varies.

Indirect - ensuring you have a drip pan underneath. You may add some liquid to your pan. Some do - some don't.

If you cook at a dome temp between 235 and 250, 10 to 12 hours should get you to an internal temp between 190 and 210. I've gotten used to pulling at an internal temp between 155 - 170, based on development of bark, wrap it in foil and return it until it gets to the desired temp.

Use a dry rub of some kind - to give the bark killer taste. I generally put the dry rub on and return it to the icebox for 24-48 hours. Get the EGG to temp, pull it, inject it, put it on and watch the magic happen.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=950498&catid=1

Let it sit for at least 30 minutes after you take it off - before you pull it.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Butts should not intimidate. One of the easiest, most forgiving cooks you will do.

As follows...

fill with lump to top of firebox (or higher) and light
    add hickory chunks here and there
    insert platesetter, legs up
    add drip pan, then grid
    stabilize dome temp at 250° (with all the parts in place)
    while waiting for temp, remove butt from fridge
    rub generously with rub of choice
    do not use mustard (serves no purpose as best I can tell)
    no need for injection (butt is awesome by itself)
    when stable at 250°, add meat
    close dome
    temp will drop - don't mess with settings, it'll come back
    check dome temp from time to time (better safe than sorry)
    no need to flip the meat, just let it cook
    When meat temp reaches 195°, time to pull it off the egg
    Unless it is done earlier than you wanted to eat, no need to use a cooler.
    Cover with foil and let it rest for 15-30 mins, then pull and enjoy
    If it's done early, wrap in foil, then bath towels and place in cooler for up to 3-4 hours, THEN pull and serve.

You're gonna love it!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Thunderbunny, As soon as my egg is stable at 250 degrees I take the butt out of the fridge and hold it under cold running water for a minute or two and then I pat it dry with paper towels. Then I sprinkle my rub of choice all over it and place it in the egg.

I don't inject it because I like it's flavor and moisture content as it is but, feel free to do as you please. Tim :)