Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

electronic temp control ?

Options
tugboat
tugboat Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm thinking about getting one of the auto temp control devices that I have read about in some of your post on this forum. I would like some input on which is best and where to find them.

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    The 2 main companies are the BBQ guru and Stoker.

I can only speak to the guru. The make several models. the nano-q, digi-q and cyber-q. You can find them at www.thebbqguru.com Each one does slightly more than the previous. The most popular is the digi-q. It can control the pit temp and monitor meat temp as well. You will be in the $250 range for it. They are available direct online, from bge or other online retailers.
  • otisdog
    otisdog Posts: 187
    Options
    I don't know which is best but I really like my digi q
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I have the CyberQ II by BBQ Guru. I like it just fine. It works excellent and tech support is top notch. I would recommend this pit controlling device most definitely. Tim
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    Options
    I can only speak for the BBQ Guru. I bought the Digi q almost a month ago and it has worked flawlessly. It is well built and really easy to use. I can easily recommend it. I bought it direct from the company. Fast shipping and easy to deal with.
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    It is only necessary if you want to control 2 eggs at the same time. If you have 1 egg, no need to spend the extra money
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Thanks for clarifying that for me Gene.

While it is true the CyberQ II has the capabilities of controlling two eggs (any size) at the same time if you chose to only control one egg you have the option to add a second meat probe should you need to monitor two pieces of meat. Tim
  • Crimsongator
    Options
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    If you visit my product reviews page, you will find a lot of information including some comparison charts.
    Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

I see TNW jumped in with his side by side comparison chart. That is a great starting place to look at the specifications.

However, the technical specs are not the whole picture. I have both the DigiQII (q2) and the Stoker. I love them both and if I had to sell on right now that would be a tough decision.

When I use the q2 I always also hook up my Maverick ET-73 so I can monitor the pit and food from inside the house. For me one needs to add another $40 to the price of the q2 in order to have the remove reading capability.

If you like bells and whistles with the toys then the Stoker is the way to go. In addition to the tech. specs. one can plot the pit and all food probes through any given cook. One can control the settings of any of the probes and or alarms from a remote location, locally or anywhere one has wi-fi connection. The stoker can be read and controlled from any device that can access a web page.

I purchased several different food probes for the stoker so I could monitor different foods. I found myself using the stoker to control one egg and then put the q2 on a second egg and used some extra stoker probes to monitor the pit and food on the q2 controlled egg.

I also do some sausage cooks that require 3 pit temperature changes during the cook. I set up the stoker and at the given time I make a change to the temperature probe controlling the pit to make the change. I never have to go out to the egg and baby sit or manually make changes - other than fire out.

The q2 is physically smaller which is nice and it has a super bright readout.

The stoker has a gravity feed air damper so no or little free air passes through the blower. The q2 has a slider that chokes off the free air passing through the blower.

Know that the egg will control the cook just fine without any powered vent system. Both the q2 and the stoker will do a fantastic job. It just depends on the versatility you want.

If I were only buying one, because I like the techie side of things, I would get the stoker.

GG
  • Jersey Doug
    Options
    If you use a Maverick ET-73 to monitor the temps from inside the house you don't need a Digi-Q. A Nano-Q will do just fine.
  • tugboat
    tugboat Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I like to keep things simple.I thank all of you for the info.sounds like I may have to learn to use a thermaprobe if I get one of these gadgets. I usualy judge donness by sight and texture.I geuss temp is the most accurate way though.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

But I have a digiq... :) Then I got the maverick when I couldn't hear the alarms on the q2 form inside the house.

GG
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    That's the one I have and I think it's great. I like the one you can control from your phone or laptop. I know I would never be able to figure out how to do it anyway. The digi Q II has worked great for me.