Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Heat Expansion - band/hinge help on XL

Options
MilitantSquatter
MilitantSquatter Posts: 98
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Whenever I fire up the XL and get it very hot for pizzas, I notice that after I open the dome after the first or second time, it will no longer seat properly.. Everything seems to shift as a result of the heat expanding the metal.

I'm not sure if this is the bands, the hinge or a combo of both.

It's a real PITA. I've resorted to having a pair of heat gloves next to me to push it down into place.

Thoughts ?

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Sounds like your band bolts aren't tight enough (i.e. they should be bent). Check out the video at BGE. It's for a Large, but I would imagine the same goes for the XL. Bolt tightening is shown about 3/4 of the way through the vid. Good luck!

http://www.biggreenegg.com/videos/unpackassemb.html

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• The same thing happens on my large while cooking at 450 for extended periods and opening and closing the dome a lot. It is not a "bolt too loose" issue.
  • StratoEgg
    Options
    Vinny,

I had a alignment issue w/ my egg that came up during a family reunion. I called the mother ship and they sent me the two little plastic pieces that come with the egg and are attached to the bands when they are brand new. Unfortunately I threw mine out in the frenzy of building my egg.

So I pushed the plastic pieces back on with some minor effort. Made some adjustments to a few bolts and the bands to get them lined up and we were off to the races again 10 mins later. Haven't had any issues since but I now have the plastic pieces to fix the issue should I have it again.

Hope this helps.

Al