Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turning off Maverick ET-73

Deckhand
Deckhand Posts: 318
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just bought a Maverick ET-73...read all the instructions but I have one question... Do you turn off both the transmitter and the receiver when not using it? Seems like you would to save the batteries but they don't make it easy to turn off the transmitter. Have to open the battery compartment. I can do that but it seems like the would have put the switches on the outside of the case if that were so. Perhaps it's just weatherproofing.

Thanks.

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Deckhand wrote:
    Perhaps it's just weatherproofing.

Yup.

I left mine on for 5 or 6 months without a battery change. However, now I do turn mine off after use.

GG
  • No need to turn it off. The display uses virtually no power when idle.

I have a travelling alarm clock that is small and LCD and actually DOES something (keeps time), and I have never changed the single AAA battery in at least seven years
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Never immerse you probes in water. Just wipe them off the best you can. You don't want the dreaded HHH. :angry: Tim
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    I did immerse both probes...about 3" in boiling water to see how much mental "calibration" I need to do. The water didn't get close to the junction of the wire and the probe. Hope I don't go to HHH. Gripes me to spend $60 on something that reads 5* high and can't be calibrated...grr.
  • Dreggs
    Dreggs Posts: 147
    Midway through my second use, the grid display went to HHH. Midway through my third use, the food display went to HHH. Is there a cure, or do I have 2 new paperweights?
  • 2Fategghead
    Deckhand, Like you said if you didn't let the water get past the point where the wire goes in you should be fine. I don't remember hearing any one say they soaked their meat probes past the place where the wire goes in but, I have wondered if it did happen if a person could bake the water out or nuke it.

I have had several go bad and the unit had HHH and the only reason I could figure out was that the probe was in direct heat. I only use my maverick et-73 when doing low temp cooks. When I am doing a low temp cook I generally use a plate setter and this is how I route my probe cable. I lay it across the base into the egg where the leg of the plate setter meets the lip of the base. That way the cable is never in direct line with the heat from the fire box. The probe is supposed to with stand up to 410 degrees for the standard probe but the high heat probe they sell is supposed with stand 570 degrees. I try to keep in mind that the Maverick et-73 is the best the market has to offer in a wireless setup. I have an instant read thermapen on hand at all times and even when the maverick tells me the temp I still check it with my trusty thermapen because that is always my final say.

If you have troubles give Maverick a call at 800 526-0954 tell them your troubles and if they replace your probes always up grade to the high heat probes and by all means use two high heat probes one for the pit and one for the meat and always get an extra set for backup. Hope this helps, Tim
  • 2Fategghead
    Grunenegger, Look at my reply to Deckhand. Tim :)
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    I've had my ET-73 for over 7 years now. Have never replace a probe or had any problems with the units. I always turn both units off and have maybe changed the batteries once? These things are great.
    Packerland, Wisconsin