Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

trying to do korean bbq with short ribs

texasAUtiger
texasAUtiger Posts: 154
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have some short ribs marinating since last night.

I realize (now, unfortunately) that korean bbq needs a specific cut of the short rib, and I just have plain ole short ribs.

What would you suggest in terms of times and temps for the egg? A lower, slower indirect cook or a hotter, faster cook?

Thanks!

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    These were even great for breakfast W/bloody marys the next morning as a leftover.

Beef, Ribs, Short, Korean BBQ Short Ribs, Eenie Meenie

INGREDIENTS:
    4 lbs Meaty Beef Short Ribs (bone in or 2 1/2 lbs., boneless)
    Beef Short Rib Marinade (see recipe below)
    Bean & Pepper Smearing Sauce (see recipe below)
    Lettuce (preferably Bibb or Boston, separated into leaves)
    Rice
    Kimchi, buy whatever type(s) you prefer
    Bean & Pepper Smearing Sauce :
    8 Tbs Korean Soy Fermented Bean Paste
    5 T% Korean Fermented Red Pepper Paste
    4 tsp finely minced Garlic
    4 Tbs Sweetened Rice Vinegar
    2 Tbs Roasted Sesame Seeds
    2 tsp Sesame Seed Oil
    Beef Marinade :
    15 Cloves Peeled and mashed Garlic
    1/4 cup coarsely chopped Ginger
    1 bunch of Scallions, cut into thirds
    6 or more chopped Green Chile Peppers
    1 coarsely chopped medium Onion
    2 ripe Asian Pears (may use other pears)
    1 cup Soy Sauce
    1/2 cup sweet Rice Wine
    1 tsp Honey
    1 Tbs Black Peppercorns

PROCEDURE:
    1 Mix all the ingredients together. This will look and smell gross, but hang in there.
    Beef Short Ribs :
    1 You may prepare the ribs by one of three ways :
    Haeundae Cut:
    1 In which you tributterfly the meat of a single English cut short rib while attached to the bone. You will wind up with about a 4 to 5 inch long strip of very thin meat that is about 2 inches wide, attached to the bone. (There is a description of this in Steve Raichlen’s book, The BBQ Bible, 1998, page 147). Score the meat with the back of your chef’s knife.
    2 Buy “L.A.” or Korean style or flanken style from a Korean grocer. These are 3 short ribs cut crosswise about 1/4 inch thick. The problem with buying these in a Korean grocery is that they can sometimes be very chewy because they are not choice or prime. However, they are a no brainer to prepare.
    Cooks Illustrated Method :
    1 Take an English cut section of short ribs and cut the outside thick, dense fat and silver off. Then cut the beef off of the bone. Slice this chunk of meat on a sharp diagonal to about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick to obtain about 4 pieces of meat. Pound these pieces of meat to 1/4 inch thick. I would then score them with the back of my knife to optimize the marinating process.
    Beef Marinade :
    1 Combine the marinade ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 3 hours. Cool. Place all of the marinade contents into a food processor and puree until smooth.
    2 Pour the marinade over the meat (remember to score the meat by hitting it with the back of your knife) and rub into the meat. Refrigerate overnight.
    3 Set up egg to grill over very high heat. Oil the grid. Place the meat on the hot grid.
    4 Do not remove the marinade. Quickly sear the meat on both sides until somewhat charred on the outside, but pink on the inside (may have to flip repeatedly). If cooking the Haeundae Cut, you can cut the bone off before or after grilling (only the lucky get to nibble the bone). The Koreans usually use scissors to cut the meat off the bone when it is done and to cut into pieces. If using the Cooks Illustrated method, you might want to skewer the meat so it does not fall between the grid. In addition, it grills so quickly, it allows for quicker flipping.
    To assemble :
    1 Take a lettuce leaf (if too large, split in half) and smear on some Bean & Pepper smearing sauce. Then place some kimchi, then some rice, a piece of short rib and fold the lettuce leaf over like a mini Korean burrito.

Yield: Serves four.

Recipe Type
    Appetizer, Beef, Main Dish

Cooking Tips
    Rice: Sushi or medium grain sticky rice preferred (but not necessary) Kokuho Rose
    is a good brand that is widely available. Prepare as recommended on the rice bag or
    your rice cooker (I use the prewashed, sushi setting). 1 cup of raw rice.

Recipe Source
    Author: Rebecca Paessun

Source: Sunshine State Fest '10, Eenie Meenie, 2010/03/13
  • I id this this week and they were great, thank eenie meeni.

Doug
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    TexasAUtiger, hope this link helps a little. This might help explain your shortrib preperation options.
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=55&func=view&catid=1&id=812012

Thanks for your very kind words Richard and Doug! :)
    (Doug, where was your post? Did I miss it?)