Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Homemade eggcessory

Roll Tide
Roll Tide Posts: 505
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been wanting a spider or something that allows me to reach closer to the fire to get a better sear as well as use it for a diffuser so that I can use multiple tiers of cooking grids when I am doing an indirect cook. This should solve my problem, simple but effective. It fits the fire ring perfectly and really supports more weight than I was expecting.

DSC_1362.jpg

DSC_1363.jpg

DSC_1364.jpg

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Nice bending work you have there. You will love the options that will provide you. Hopefully the strap will hold to the heat closer to lump level.

Another option for folks is to pick up another smaller grid and put it on the fire box then the fire ring. Use the grid on the fire box then add the grid on top of the fire ring.

I do love the Spider it is much more open than using fixed grid setup's.

GG
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Pay attention the first time you use at any kind of high temps, it may warp and whatever is on could end up in the coals..
  • Roll Tide
    Thanks, GG.
    These diffusor straps have been "field tested" for probably 2 months now and nobody has had any issues with warping, weakening, etc... the bends were machined and it is heavy gauge material. I'd like to claim em, but a friend did the work to have a pair for himself, but had to buy a whole sheet. He has done several pairs and still has a lot left to get rid of.
  • Roll Tide
    thanks for the heads up. I'll keep a close eye on it for a few cooks, but I know the Guy who made em has. Several high heat cooks under hus belt.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Here's another homemade deflector made years before tjv created his spider.
    IMG_0053.jpg

It is 3/16" welded aluminum and rests on opposite edges so no metal is directly in the center with the most heat. Then the deflectors are made from a ceramic material used in ag chemical production and capable of 3,300° heat. The 3 plates fit my L, M & S. Not pictured here are the smaller straps for the S.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.