Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Guru vs Stoker vs. others

2»

Comments

• What pipes did you use to make your box? Is that a thru-hull fitting?
  • Gshell
    Gshell Posts: 44
    I also have 2 eggs and have a have a older BBQ Guru, although I have not had any problem with it, on occasion I wish I had one that would control both eggs, my advice would be to make sure you are ready for that. I have a friend that has a stoker loves it, I think it’s kind of like Ford vs Chevy when it comes down to it, I really think you can’t go wrong with either.
  • Hi Kilo,

Sorry your thread got hi-jacked. I only have a Stoker, so I cannot draw a lot of comparisons for you. I did do a lot of research before I purchased mine though. The Guru does offer a model or two that are wireless and can control multiple cookers. That being said, the wireless one is $550 and it is limited to connecting to a handheld device. It says it has a sight range of 600 feet, but I don't know what that means regarding going through walls etc.

The Stoker is not wireless, but you can make it wireless by purchasing a wireless bridge. Either way, if you connect to the Internet wired or wireless, you can interact it with it anywhere using a cell phone for example.

I really like my Stoker, and I am glad I made the purchase. The wireless bridge option works great for me.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Either way, I think you will be happy having a power draft control.
  • I believe (unless they have updated it to restrict the number of cookers) that in theory, a Stoker can control an unlimited number of cookers. When I first reviewed the first device, that was true. He had extender blocks that would hold a huge number of plugs.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Cruezn
    Cruezn Posts: 317
    Hi Kilo,
    I too am sorry your post got hijacked. I personally am so over this he said she said, and would like to get back to just reading about eggs and cooking. I mean no disrespect to either side, I'm just tired of it, that's all. Now that my two cents have been spewed, I have a Nano and really like it. I didn't say love it, as it does what is advertised (very well), I just wish I'd had a little more foresight when purchasing. I now have two eggs, and obviously can only control one. I also love the wireless/smartphone aspect of the stoker, as I'm kind of a techie geek myself. I researched the Guru relentlessly, only wish I would have done the same with the Stoker. I don't know anything about the Stoker, other than what's been stated. I've been seriously considering selling the Nano, and moving to either a different Guru model or Stoker. My biggest beef with the Nano (and I knew this before purchasing, I was just trying to be a little frugal) is you can't see the temp setting. You have to reset it every time (as I never remember what setting it was on last, even when I make a note, I don't trust it...) and adjust it up or down in 5 degree increments. Whatever your choice, I'm sure you'll be happy.
  • Cruezn
    Cruezn Posts: 317
    RU Eggsperienced, Beautiful setup. Very envious!
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Aha, I stand (possibly) corrected. I thought the base unit, though, handled four pits. Is that accurate (me being too lazy to actually look for myself)?

Okay, I went to Rock's and here's what the "multiple cookers" section sez:

All of the devices that plug into the Stoker are "smart" and they all have there own unique id. The Stoker has 5 device ports (3 on front 2 on the rear). All of the device ports are the same and can be expanded using Port Expanders. To control 1 cooker you need 1 pit Sensor and 1 Blower. Using a 3 port expander to get a total of 8 ports, you can control 4 cookers.

That makes sense to me. I'd be very surprised if the number was unlimited.
  • Kilo
    Kilo Posts: 11
    It sounds like the Stoker is a little cheaper if you want to have the ability to use two cookers and maybe two to three meat probes. It also sounds like it is easier to interface with a computer network and has potential for expansion if needed.

It seems the negatives might be it is a little more confusing to set up (need to assign blowers to sensors, etc.)it has only short leads on the probes 4', it is bigger and some people think they don't have as good customer service. Do you agree with these conclusions?

I respect your opinion because you seem to always be willing to give thoughtful, helpfull advice. I am not worried about cost as much as getting the best controller I can.

Do people use these a lot on shorter cooks like chicken, turkey breast, fish etc? I many times am multi-tasking and don't have time to check the grill as often as I should.

I have used the BBQ Guru a friend had and it seemed to work real well. It seems to have good control ofver the pit temp by ramping up and down. Does the Stoker do the same?

Sorry to ask so many question and I will try to call both companies to hear their side of the story.

Thanks!
    Kilo
  • Believe it or not it is a 2" threaded shower drain flange. I simply attach a 90 degree PVC elbow on and it keeps water from splashing in and you can feed probes and extension cords into the box easily... I put the Stoker, the bridge in there along with all the cables and probes for storage. The shower flange is a bit overkill but it has nice rubber gaskets that keep it from ripping the plastic case so probably not a bad deal... It was also on a closeout table at Home Depot....

Stoker%20enclosure.jpg
  • The base unit can handle 2 cookers. The fifth plug allows you to plug in an expansion block. I remember Rock telling me that in theory the number was unlimited, so unless he has backed off that statement, I'm pretty sure it can handle more than 4. He used to have a 20 plug expansion block but I see that he doesn't any more. Probably no one bought one. You can plug an expander into an expander to get more plugs. But sounds like nobody was using the greater number of cookers, so he isn't advertising it. He would have had to have modified his the software to limit it to four so I'll bet you can still do more. But then you start having to get an awful large number of cookers in the vicinity of your Stoker, lol.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Not to mention that you'd have a heckuva lotta eggs (no pun intended) in one basket with one Stoker running that many pits. Stoker decides to give up the ghost and you're up the creek in a big way.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    It's OK Terry. I have confessed all my sins to our Lord.

Yes I yelled.. it was that event who turned me into a total guru user. I how know what was wrong that caused the stoker to fail. I still like my Gurus, but used right the Stoker is a good unit too.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    i am still waiting on my sauce :P

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb