Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Paul Kirk's Butt

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi,
I just read Paul Kirk's new book and he reccomends brining pork butts in a solution of half cup of salt and 1 gallon of water and also injecting the same solution deep into the butt before cooking. [p]I've found some of his recipies in the past to be a tad on the salty side. Anyone ever do this?
Thanks,
Bob

Comments

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    BobM,
    I always brine in a a mixture of about 3/4 cup of salt and sugar to a little less than a gallon of water, when I think about it and have the time to let it go overnight that is.[p]I have never done the injection thing, but I think I need to start researching that as well, especially after a conversation I had with Dizzy Chris this past weekend.

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Bobby-Q,[p]I heard chris say some interesting things, but what pray tell did he say about injecting a brining solution in butts?
  • Bobby-Q
    Mark Backer,
    It wasn't a brining solution, just talk in general about injecting flavors.[p]Injecting a brining solution just seems lazy and redundant to me. If you're gonna inject something, why not introduce another layer of flavor by using something other than the flavors that are already there from the brining.

• Mark Backer
    Bobby-Q,[p]That's kind of what I was thinking. My thought was that besides a thermometer, the only thing you should be putting IN the meat is something that will add to the flavor. [p]What's everybody egging tonight anyway? For us, it's ABT's and ribeyes with either raging river or cow lick.
  • Mark Backer,
    olive oil/kosher salt/COWLICK on those ribeyes. .. .if they are thick enough (over 1 1/2 inches), try t-rexing them if you haven't yet. .. if they are skinny, just go high heat till they're done. . . .on the abt's you outa try wrapping em in prociutto, especially if you are doing the sweet bell peppers again. . .really works well together. ..[p]enjoy[p]btw, try injecting a butt with a 50/50 mix of applecider vinager and apple juice with a nice dose of dizzy dust mixed in, then coat the butt in dizzy dust. .. really, rally good. . ..

• Mark Backer
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]I have a steak question. We have been doing ours with an all purpsose seasoning that we got from our butcher that we like alot. A couple weeks ago, I tried the olive oil and kosher salt thing and they were simply way too salty for either of our liking. If I'm not T-rexing, how much salt should I be using? Also, will the cow lick and the kosher salt not make the spices overrun the taste of the meat?
  • a stick
    a stick Posts: 69
    Mark Backer,[p]Tonight is two 14 lb briskets. I trimmed off enough fat to bring them down to 12 lbs each. Will use raised grid and leave on the egg for about 15 to 16 hours. God bless the remote themometer probe when I wake up at 2 am.
  • Mark Backer,
    we tend to like the flavor of kosher salt at our house, so i tend te be probably a little heavy handed with the stuff. . .i'd say its a matter of taste. . .having said that, you can certainly ruin your steak by putting too much salt on prior to cooking as there is no way to remove. . .try doing the steaks tonight with olive oil and cowlick only (i'll bet you find the cowlick to be less salty than most commercial steak rubs to start). . .you can always sprinkle salt on when you eat the steak if its not salty enough, and then you can apply some before you cook steaks next time. . also, go a little light on the cow lick this time, and build it up over the next few cooks until you find the level you like. . .let your taste buds be your guide. .. one thing i promise. . .when you find the right level of cowlick coating, i think you'll be a real happy camper. . .

• Mark Backer
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]That's what I was thinking of doing. Olive Oil and the cow lick (reasonably applied) and I think we'll be dandy.[p]What choo having tonight anyway?
  • Mark Backer,
    fraid tonights a dominos night. .. the spawn is having 15 of her adolescent friends over for a halloween party, its damp out, so they will all be inside, and i'll be on 'hanky panky' alert, keeping a cold water nozzle at the ready to hose down any of those horny little boys and girls. . .(you got about 13 more years to worry about this one. .haaaa)[p]tomorrow morning early though, i have 4 chickens that will get doused in tsunami spin, beer cans shoved up their heinies, and on to the egg. .. we have a nice lady that comes by every 2 weeks to clean and i will send two of them home with her as i've been promising her some bbq for a while now. ..

• Bobby-Q,I have an 8 pound boston butt ready to go on Humpty Dumpty ; it has been injected all over with cajun power garlic sauce (which I use all the time). Great garlic flavor, which someone on this forum got me hooked on... good stuff.

• tn slagamater,try that again, can't type

• tn slagamater,oh well www.cajunpowersauce.com

• Bobby-Q
    tn slagamater,
    Heh,[p]thanks

• Bobby-Q
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Good luck with the hormone hosings.[p]I did some T-Bones the other day that my sister's friend had tried to ruin by soaking in Dale's overnight. I washed mine off and hit it with the cowlick. Thinking about it makes my mouth water again.[p]Tonight is box taco night unfortunately...Sister's cooking.