Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Temp Question

Options
GeorgiaBorn
GeorgiaBorn Posts: 178
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey guys. I am smoking a whole brisket tonight for a bbq party tomorrow. It weighs a little over 11lbs. My dome temp right now is about 210. The internal temp of the brisket when I put it on the smoker was 41 degrees. In one hour and 20 minutes the internal temp has already gotten to 105. 64 degree increase in less than an hour and a half? Is that normal? I was counting on the brisket taking at least 10-12 hours. I have moved the temp probe around to test other areas. Right now it is in the thick part between the flat and the point. The temp was even higher when I put it directly into the flat.

Thanks

Comments

• 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    Options
    yup that's normal it will hit a plateau somewhere 160 to 170 and stay there for several hours actually your dome should be around 250 the grate temp will be 30 to 50 degrees lower than the dome
  • GeorgiaBorn
    Options
    I thought the grate temp was actually higher than the dome temp since it is closer to the coals. I had the dome temp at around 225 but turned it down to around 210 when the temp of the brisket started going up so fast.

Please confirm the dome vs the grate temp for me. Perhaps I have it backwards but I could have sworn the grate temp was higher than the dome. Thanks!
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    61chev is correct. ;)
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    As stated by others, the dome temp is higher... with the plate setter in place, the heat from the lump travels up the sides and out the top... the dome temp is in this air flow... the meat, sitting on the grid, is subject to more of a radiant effect at a lower temp (out of the flow)
    Kent Madison MS
  • GeorgiaBorn
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input. The brisket came out amazing. The burnt ends were the best I have ever eaten......anywhere. They disappeared in about 20 minutes and the brisket slices soon followed.

Seems like brisket smokes faster at my house than anywhere else in the world. The brisket weighed in at 11.5 pounds and was at 190 degrees in about 10 hours at a dome temp of 225. I let it rest 35 minutes and took the point off and applied more rub and put it back on the smoker with a dome temp of 250 for 3 hours. Took it off, cubed it and put it back on the smoker for another hour and a half.

I have used a lot of videos from You Tube to help me smoke a number of things, so I decided to give back on this smoke. I documented the entire process on video. I will editing it and posting in on You Tube some time on Monday. I hope it helps some other people out there doing a whole brisket.

Thanks again!