Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Portabello Mushroom Problem

Bushgator
Bushgator Posts: 112
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How do I dry out mushrooms(Portobellas) before cooking them so there is no water oozing out of them after I bake them? do I cook them alone in the oven first or what? Thanks for the help ahead of time.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    By the time you dry them out they will be cooked. Just cook and if need be place on paper towels at the end for a few minutes.
  • what are you doing with them? I marinade them and then go direct at like 400*ish. Hell sometimes I sear the presliced ones 1 minute per side and they are about ready to eat then.

speaking of which RD by us has cases of port. mush. for like $9 right now.
  • Bushgator
    were stuffing them with chicken and a sour cream mix. but last time we did this there was water drainning out of them and made it too sloppy. I will try doing them alone in the oven first before stuffing them.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Try placing them on a raised rack, perhaps the liquid will drip away.
  • Could the water sloppiness becoming from the sour cream & chicken instead?
  • Bushgator
    Yeah I agree,thats what I thought too,
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    I can't understand why there is water oozing going on. When I've done stuffed portas over the years they come dry and firm. I break the stem off, drizzle with balsamic vin, evoo, s/p and add the items on, and top with cheese and 'bake'. No ozzing going on...
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • When heated, sour cream can curdle. Hence, separation of the milk solids and water leading to wet soggy mushrooms. That's my guess anyway.
  • Bushgator
    No Thats for sure not the chicken or the sourcream or cream cheese but you did give me a thought maybe , just maybe my wife washed them first which would explain it maybe. yep she did! just asked her. I just imformed her to clean them with a towel or paper towel and not to run them under the fawset to clean them. I will post the results back on here after the cook.
  • Bushgator
    Problem solved, :) they were being washed under the fawset before cooking. I just found out when I asked my wife about it.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    That's what I thought. Stop it! :laugh: :laugh: :)
    The old saying God made dirt..... :whistle:
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • .... and sheep manure... :sick:
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    First off mushrooms are in excess of 90% water. Some moisture loss (oozing) is going to occur unless they are dried to the point of being dehydrated. I usually grill mine gill side down for the first few minutes and then turn over, stuff with whatever is in the plan for the day and grill with the cap side down. If being consumed quickly, further moisture loss should not be a significant problem. If being re-heated and eaten later moisture is going to be a factor once more. I find it interesting that people rave about the moisture (juice) from a steak, but consider moisture (juice) from a shroom to be a negative thing. I like the juiciness of them when freshly prepared. Just my($0.02). :)