Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking and Saving my pulled pork

Options
Bubba's dad
Bubba's dad Posts: 97
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Question:

If I cook a pork butt and tonight and want to save it a day or two to take to work should I keep it whole and then pull it (chop-it) right before I serve it or should I pull-it and then put it in tupperware or something?

Basically, what is the best way to cook it and save it a day or two?

Thanks you all

Comments

• thailandjohn
    Options
    Let it cool down a little then pull apart.

You can save in Tupperware or Zip lock bags

Many different ways to reheat but if I was taking the pork to the office for sandwiches, I would put in Zip lock bags and then put the pork on a bun and reheat in a microwave...it will come out great

Make sure you keep as much of the grease drippings as possible and mix in with the pork after you pull the meat apart
  • I have even frozen it when I had way too much left over and didn't want to eat pulled pork every night for a week. I froze it with a little sauce and heated it up in the microwave. The smoke flavor and the moisture were still great after a few weeks in the freezer.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    If you store it in zip-locs you can reheat in a pan of hot water.

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • crmilt
    crmilt Posts: 115
    Options
    Two weeks ago I tried both ways. Cooked two butts that were done Friday at noon and took to Florida for eating Saturday night. I pulled one when finished on Friday and put in plastic bags. The other I wrapped whole without pulling. Both were kept in cooler for drive to Florida. Saturday night we heated the whole butt in the oven for 2 hours and pulled it. Heated the already pulled one in oven as well.

We tasted no difference. 6 of one, half dozen of the other!
    __________ Chris
  • One thing you can do is if you put the pulled pork in the fridge without pulling it overnight (like you did), slice it into nice big steaks before reheating it.

The great thing about doing it that way is that you get the nice presentation of a nice pork steak (rather than a pulled mess) but the tenderness of pulled pork.