Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cleaning my egg

Options
drbrjb01
drbrjb01 Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
just cleaned my egg for the first time and I am sure i made it harder than it should be...but out of curiosity, is there any reason why I could not shop vac the ashes out?

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    I shop vac mine out regularly. Just be sure the ashes have cooled completely. I pick out the lump I want to re-use and the pull the firebox and ring and shopvac the egg completely.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    No need to remove the firering or box just get some large flexible tubing and adapt it to your shop vac

101_3020.jpg
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    Shop vacs work fine.

While they also do an excelent job of cleaning out ALL the ashes, I would advise against using one of these:
    stihl-blower.jpg
  • Buckethead
    Buckethead Posts: 285
    Options
    Hey Gene do you ever get the outside to shine like a new penny after about 7 years of sun and weather? How's the small work'n out that you picked up?
    DMo
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Mine stay inside when not in use so they look pretty good. I keep them in the corner of the garage.

The small that I picked up went to a friend and he is still gainging the courage to use it. Honestly, they have been traveling and so have we. We hope to meet up this weekend and cook some stuff on it.
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Not for cleaning, but that is one heck of a fire starter :woohoo: :ermm:
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    Mine stay outside all the time, with no cover. My Medium is 11 years old, and it shines like a new penny today. I think it's been splashed with a pressure washer about 3 times in its life. :laugh:

We won't talk about the inside. :blush:
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Pat I sent you a note last year and you posted that pic back and instructions. Went to bigbox store and got all the crap - never could get it to work.... just not bright.... so now just use the shop vac and pull guts out...
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    curious here too...you mean this is the first time you have cleaned the ashes out since you've had it? How many cooks have you made? Personally I scrape my out at least after every other use as I see a marked deterioration as the vent gets clogged. Those babies need to breathe!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.