Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NEWBIE- Question about accessories

eyegolf
eyegolf Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am about to go to dealer and order my very first BGE, size Large. Can all of you experienced fanatics please tell me what your "must-have" accessories list would be?
Ash tool? necessary or is there an alternative that is preferred. Cast iron grid? Chicken roaster? This I'm sure is also available outside of getting a BGE brand roaster...any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• A thermopen by thermoworks should be high on your list.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    I would not want to steer you wrong but, you could use an extra grid for cooking raised or on two levels. Simply get some 3.5 inch bolts with nuts and washers and that will get you a raised grid.

One way to cook indirect is to get a plate setter.

I use the ash tool and like it.

I would suggest a way to measure the internal temp of your meat your cooking.

Have fun on your first cook. If you can take pic's and post them here. Tim ;)
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    A Plate Setter for indirect heating. I use it more often than not. Also a baking Stone for pizza.

Next on my list would be a Grill Extender, then the specialty grids for vegetables then the ..... everything!

Dave
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Adult ADHD
    Adult ADHD Posts: 150
    Some dealers offer a special starter kit that includes fire starters, ash tool, goal, the rack gripper thing, all of which you will NEED. You can't have too many accessories. I agree that the place setter and pizza stone are tops.
  • milesofsmiles
    milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
    I do not cut the price of the Egg, as it is a superior produce and does not need a cheapened image. However when a cust. makes a purchase I will spiff them a 20# bag of bge lump, a box of fire starters, a grill gripper, and the ash tool. Thats about $60.00 of stuff they might have to purchase, as they are nessories. Plus a 10% disc on all other egg toys. All Eggs are assembled & most are take with, SPECIAL peeps require delivery. Those, I hope never have a flat tire on the Interstate, they just need to be pampered, powdered and clad in new pampers as they are special. LMAO. :):):) to all.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Lots are going to say a PLATESETTER. I have one that I don't use.
    My 2cents is save the $$$ get an adj rig with spyder and you can do all your indirect with that (instead of platesetter) and be cooking high in the dome.
    Email: sales@ceramicgrillstore.com
    You will need the pizza stone.
    You will need the thermopen by thermoworks.
    Most important is have fun and send pictures....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    You will need lump coal, a way of lighting it(MAPP torch, oil/paper towel, chimney, starter cubes-whatever method you want), you will also need a ash tool and a grill gripper. Everything else is "extra". You can get the platesetter which will help you cook indirect but you don't need it for indirect cooks. I only use my platesetter for pizza and baking. All the other indirect cooks I use tjv's spider and a pizza stone. I highly recommend, as most others do, buying a thermapen. I also recommend a second grid(it does not have to be CI-but I like CI, and the AR from tjv.
  • ThirdEye's stuff is nice - ThirdHand, Wiggle Rod, maybe a micro adjuster.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Congrats on your upcoming purchase and welcome to the club. I got my egg for father's day. The wife came home with the egg, ash tool, grill gripper (along with nest and mates). The ash tool and grill gripper are pretty cheap so might was well just get those.

I think some method to do indirect cooking is a must have. You will also likely find you want some kind of grill extender. I ended up getting the plate setter and the 3 tier rack from the BGE dealer. If I had it to do over again, I would consider the woo3 or adjustable rig from the ceramic grill store or similar:
    http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com

Have you decided on a nest and mates vs a table? I went nest and mates...but sorta wish I had gone table. I think I will probably end up building or buying a table eventually.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    I bought the adj rig combo (which included the spider, pizza stone) from the Ceramic Store, Thermopen, cast iron grid (small) for the spider, BBQ Guru (for peace of mind during overnight cooks), plate setter, rib rack, and a few smaller accessories when I bought my large BGE. I have used them all and recommend them.
  • ArvadaMan
    ArvadaMan Posts: 260
    +1 on Thermapen
  • Shop vac, thermopen, plate setter, adjustable rig, map torch, cast iron grate and Third Hand. I use those 7 accessories more then any others. After that, the BBQ Guru is pricey but I love it for lo and slo's.
  • A remote thermometer like a Maverick. Can't imagine not having it for a low and slow. Other than that a platesetter, cast iron grid and ash cleaner. It took me awhile to figure it out but the curlique thing on the other end of the ash tool is a grate lifter. Duh!