Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What size should I get?

Options
bigchop
bigchop Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I had a chance to buy an unused medium "egg" for $400. but was concerned it was to small. Any input on the medium vs. large vs. XL??...and is there anyone who has a used one to sell?

Comments

• chrono
    chrono Posts: 177
    Options
    That's a pretty good price. I'd say large but it's 2x the price. Grab the medium, it should work for most anything you do and down the road if you want to upgrade get a LG or XL B)
  • Brad @ Lake Hartwell
    Options
    I think in terms of big burgers 6 = med, 12 = large, 24 = extra large.

You can cook a lot of food on a large. Enough chicken for 15 people, etc. If you like to have people over for BBQ then a large is it. Just your family and a med will do. If you really enjoy a party go for the ex large. It weighs twice what the med does though...

You are going to find that you can cook more stuff on it that you would have suspected. I cooked 8 ears of corn (wrapped in foil) and 8 burgers on a large last night with plenty of room. Pie in an iron dutch oven, etc. You may find that you want a larger BGE so you can cook two or more items at one time.
  • Brad @ Lake Hartwell
    Options
    http://bubbatim.com/Green_Book.php

This web site will tell you what you should pay for a used egg... given that the med you are looking at is "unused" it looks like a deal.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Keep in mind that you will have no warranty on any used EGG.

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Size matters not. In 6 mo's or less you will buy your second egg and within the next 12 months your third :laugh:

(((Sorry posted in wrong spot)))
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    you want to buy a new one or one at a eggfest is proabably the best deal you will find. last year i bought my second large for under $700. i bought it at eggtoberfest in atlanta. they will have another at the atlanta motor speedway so if you are close it will be worth the trip. you want a new one for the warranty.

i have 2 larges and a small to take camping. i love the larges. i have not needed the extra space a xl provides. i have cooked for alot of people on one large. with a little ingenutity you can cook alot on a large.

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    It depends entirely on how many people you're cooking for. I bought a Medium in 1999 and use it for two people several times a week and up to 6 people once in a while. It's cramped to fit lots of steaks or burgers on a Medium, but it can be done. I bought a Large in 2006 to get more room for entertaining. I still use the Medium more often than I do the Large, but the Large handles long, slow cooks better than the Medium and handles turkeys and large roasts more efficiently.

If you lean toward grilling and usually only cook for two most of the time, then I think you'll be delighted with a Medium. If you want to do lots of pulled pork and brisket, or feed a crowd often, I'd suggest the Large.
  • Fishbonz
    Options
    I bought my medium a year ago July 3rd. I then bought my large on July 3rd this year because of an unfortunate event with my medium. (my son & I dropped it when we were moving it :( ) I found the medium worked great for me except when I wanted to have people over for dinner, then it was to small. I will be buying the bottom half of a medium as soon as I can justify the $$$. Then I will have 2. :)
  • rho1640
    rho1640 Posts: 118
    Options
    So can you get all the toys for the medium as the large - can you do pizza, Dutch oven stuff, pailla (sp), cast iron fry pans, woks etc .....
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    Accessory selection for the Medium is more limited than the Large. BGE accessories are about the same, but the after-market stuff is thinner. I use a Dutch oven in my medium more than I do in my Large. BGE has pizza stones. Ceramic Grill Works has some stuff, but not all the same toys (no Adjustable Rig).