Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rust on daisy wheel

Options
skihorn
skihorn Posts: 600
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In my several years of Egging I finally neglected my Eggs for several weeks. Due to vacation and other circumstances neither was used for three weeks. It had also rained on my last cook. So I was putting a cover over wet Eggs. It then rained for days straight while I was gone before finally turning hot and sunny. I knew I had the perfect setting for mold/mildew. I was right!

When I opened the Eggs there was green growing stuff everywhere. I fired up both Eggs to nuclear temps and that got rid of the green stuff. However, my Daisy Wheels are showing a lot of rust looking color. They still work fine (glide fairly easily). Should I do anything or just ignore the rust?

Thanks in advance!

Freddie
League City, TX

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    don't worry about the rust. .. . after a couple of lo and slo cooks they will get a nice coat of oil/grease on them that will inhibit any rust. . . .mine go through a cycle. .. .oil/grease builds up to a point where the holes on the daisy wheel clog up. ..then i throw the daisy wheel/vent straight into the fire to clean it. ...works great... all the grease is completely gone, along with any paint that was on the steal ... they then start to rust, but that gets stopped after the first couple of cooks adds a sheen of smoke/grease again until they get so greasy they need to be cleaned again!! .... .
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Sorry Max. I wire brushed mine and hit them with flat black high temp engine paint. They seem to be holding just fine for the last 9 months.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    thats fine rich....to each their own. ...i just can't be bothered. ...my 'cycle' works just fine, and like i said, they are in use so much, that the rust never catches on cause they get re-greased/oiled so quickly.. . .
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Mine only get used once a week. Once the cardiologist gets done the light comes on.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    LOL ...well, that and you are out there near all that good pacific salt air!!. ..you probably get rust a lot faster....
  • skihorn
    Options
    Thanks!

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • Egg-N-Tino
    Egg-N-Tino Posts: 157
    Options
    In the past when some rust would be showing on Daisy, I have rubbed it down with vegetable oil and put it on the grate while a fire is burning. Take it out after 30 minutes and carefully wipe it down with an old rag.

You'll be as good as new when done. Remember, it is made of cast iron, so any type of 'treatment' you would use to bring cast iron back to life can be used here.

Good luck and don't forget to put Daisy in the egg when you shut it down following a cook.
  • beerguy
    beerguy Posts: 116
    Options
    Great idea! I never thought of that one. My wife is always asking me what I want to do with it when we're cleaning up and I have it set on the grates of her cooktop. Problem solved!
  • skihorn
    Options
    Yes, I always put it in the Egg during shut down, but have never tried the vegetable oil trick. Thanks!

Fredie