Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nest Handler

Options
NCSU-Q
NCSU-Q Posts: 104
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone purchased/used a "BGE Nest Handler"?
Like it? Don't like it?

I am going to be transporting my Large Egg to cook somewhere besides my back deck in September, and trying to figure out the best way to move/transport it without dropping/breaking it.

I am not really worried about the ride (I have a trailer that will work nicely)... just worried about from my deck to the trailer, from the trailer to the cook site, and back.

Am I better off just taking it out of the nest and borrowing a hand truck?

Comments

• Matt
    Matt Posts: 143
    Options
    Don't have an answer for you, but noticed your handle. I am a civil engineering professor at NCSU. Are you in Raleigh?
  • Reverend BSB
    Options
    The Nest Handler is great, makes moving your egg so much easier and safer. Only negative is that it bolts onto the eggs band and the nest, so you will have to do some unbolting to remove the egg from the nest for transport. If your trailer will allow you to transport the egg in the nest then get the Handler for sure, it will be well worth it.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I put a handler and nest together for my large and I love it. You can easily move your egg around on 4 wheels or tilt it back on 2 wheels and roll it around carefully. There is a handler made for the new style nest with 4 inch wheels or the old nest so know what you have before getting the handler.

Here is a post I put together on the assembly of the nest and handler.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=112&func=view&catid=1&id=823812#823812
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Absolutely love the handlers! We have them installed on three of our eggs. Makes moving them SO much easier! And you can roll them up a ramp into a trailer, or whatever your transport method may be. Well worth the investment IMO.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I bought one recently.I LOVE IT! I have not put the egg back in the table since June and have no intentions to.I am gonna sell my table! B)
  • NCSU-Q
    Options
    I'm in Charlotte but graduated from with a Civil Engineering degree from NCSU in '96.
  • NCSU-Q
    Options
    So... do you have to take the lid and the bands off of the egg to attach them to the handler?

It looks like the lid is not on the egg in the step with the caption: "After setting the egg in the nest I could attach the two handle braces to the lower band stud on each side. Then I tightened everything up real tight."
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    NCSU-Q wrote:
    So... do you have to take the lid and the bands off of the egg to attach them to the handler?

No, but in order to assemble the handler to the nest you must install a kick brace. In order to install the kick brace you must remove two wheels. I'm not sure you can do that with the egg in the nest. I guess it is possible. I guess you would need to think it through but I think you would need help or figure a way to take the weight off the nest while taking the wheels off then back on in order to install the brace.

Let me know how you went about it and take pic's so we can document the process if you leave the egg in the nest.

If you read through the whole post hartleybear was asking the same question. I don't know how he managed or if he installed one.

Good luck and keep me posted if you have to send me an email. Tim

000_1730.jpg
  • jenericzac
    jenericzac Posts: 121
    Options
    Can anyone give me the distance from the back of the springband assembly to the back of the handler. I'm a little tight on space.
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    jenericzac,

Here I but my tape up to the lower band. I looks like a little over 7 inches.

100_3113.jpg

Hooked on through it about 10 1/4 inches.

100_3114.jpg
  • jenericzac
    jenericzac Posts: 121
    Options
    I think that will work for me. Thanks for taking the time to measure and take pics.
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    No problem hope it works out for you. Help someone on the forum if you get a chance. Tim B)
  • NCSU-Q
    Options
    Thanks for the help guys. I guess the only way to not take the egg out of the nest would be to put it up on blocks just high enough to get the casters out & back in.
    Not that it is a huge deal, but just wanted to make sure that I didn't have to take the lid off, etc. Glad to hear that you don't.

I'll let you guys know if I decide to pull the trigger.
  • Gril guy
    Options
    New to the game having purchased Xl in August. Wow! Love it! Local dealer gave me a great price on the nest handler because they had not sold an xl and wanted some feedback. Installed today and I would highly recommend. Installation was easy,and it really tightens up the rig.
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Can you post any pic's? I never seen a handler on an extra large egg. Tim