Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Breast for dinner!

AlwaysGolf
AlwaysGolf Posts: 704
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Made a whole turkey breast for dinner and a boneless breast for sandwiches for lunch. Smoked with pecan and some hickory. Used a rub that fellow egger Mickey let me try and I must say it is quite tasty.

Rubbed up with Mickey's Rub
IMGP0355.jpg

Done
IMGP0358.jpg

Patient Hungry Daughter and her plate
IMGP0359.jpg

IMGP0360.jpg

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    I got the rub from Mainegg (coffee rub).
    Your daughter gets more cute each time I see her, you will have problems in a couple of years :ohmy:
    Good looking turkey....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• AlwaysGolf
    Thanks Mickey, have been contemplating a shotgun purchase to chase away her future suitors.LOL
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Awsome bird and beautiful little girl. Mine was that age yesterday...now she's 15 going on 35. :pinch: :angry:
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    That turkey looks great. I haven't tried turkey in my egg yet, but it's on my radar.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    where did you get the netted turkey breast. my local costco use to carry them but stopped year or so ago. t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    I just bought one of these also and gonna throw it on this morning. Haven't brined it or anything..going to be a rub and go. Do we have the recipe for Mickey's rub here on the forum anywhere? Looks lovely.

mShark
  • AlwaysGolf
    tjv, picked it up from the commissary on base.

mollyshark, I got the recipe from Mickey, don't know if it is posted on the forum. But if you ping Mickey I'm sure he can get it to you or Maineegg whom he got it from. At work now but will post it this evening when I get home.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    If Mickey got the rub from Mainegg it is possible what I gave her at the Sunshinefest thia past March. Now we have gone full circle 'cause you were the basis for the recipe last year. Thanks.

Rub, "Kona Koast Rainbow Rub", W/Worcestershire Sauce, Richard Fl

My friend, Al Katz-- AKA Hungry Man from the BGE Forum, recently returned from some "R" & "R" in Hawaii and brought back some Hawaiian Sea Salt and Kona Coffee beans. Asked me to make a coffee based rub. Did not have enough Kona coffee, (too D@%* expensive), so added a few others to make a decent size batch. Started with the great recipe Molly Shark has been sharing for several years and one found on the internet, made a few modifications.Thanks Al and Molly

INGREDIENTS:
    12 Ozs Kona Koffee Beans, Ground fine
    4 Ozs. Hawaiian Sea Salt, White, add salt after the other ingredients so as not to over salt the rub
    10 Ozs. Turbindo Sugar
    6 Ozs. Indian River Rainbow Pepper or regular restaurant grind black pepper
    12 Ozs. Char-Broil Pulled Pork Rub, Pork rub of Choice
    6 Ozs. Jimmy Joe's Poultry Rub, Mild rub, little salt flavor, Jimmy Joe's Poultry Rub, (AC LEGG"S Old Plantation BBQ Rub #107)

Procedure:
    1 Measure each item by weight. If not fine ground, run thru a coffee grinder. Each item by itself. Screen thru a vegetable wire strainer to get larger pieces out- re-grind them. Mix all together.

Yield: 24 Ozs. /1 1/2 Pounds

Recipe Type
    Rub/Seasoning/Spice

Cooking Tips
    For these 2 rubs you may use your favorite pork or poultry rub. just make sure the salt is last added 'cause some rubs have more salt than others.
    I like it on beef, pork, poultry and lamb. I have a few friends that have done fish with it and were happy, I have not yet. Lightly on lamb as the koffee tends to overpower the flavor. Hoss swears it is eggtastic on brisket. Mainegg loves spatchcocked turkey with it. I like to use it when doing ribeyes and cowboy steaks. marinate for an hour or so. I am sure it will go well with anything you create

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2009/05/24

2009/06/16-- Took the original "KONA" recipe and cranked it up for more, coffee flavor, salt and heat flavor.

2009/08/14--Took this recipe and added 3 ozs Red Pepper, Fine and used 18 Ozs Old Plantation BBQ Rub #107 and that was used in place of the Jimmy Joes and Char Broil rubs.

2009/12/12-- Took the basic recipe doubled it, used 36 Ozs Legg's, 6 Ozs Sea salt, 3 Ozs Red Pepper, 2 Ozs Chipolte, and 8 Ozs WORCESTERSHIRE Powder.
  • Denbbq
    Denbbq Posts: 84
    Looking at your slicing pic, I had done that for years, but recently switched to carving each side of the breast completely away from the bone in one piece and then slicing each piece perpendicular. Easy to do and makes nice uniform slices.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Looks great.
    I'm a Bubba Keg mug fan myself.
    Take care,
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Turkey breast is one of my favorite cooks. Makes the best lunchmeat! Looks great. Your daughter sure is a cutie.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    This came from Julie/Mainegg

Kona hard to find, use expresso ground fine instant.
    VERY GOOD on Turkey.... done twice, just ask MainEgg..

Rub, Kona Coffee, Hungry Man
    INGREDIENTS:
    1/4 cup salt
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup ancho-chili powder
    1/2 cup expresso ground (very fine) Kona coffee
    1/4 cup garlic powder
    1/4 cup ground black pepper
    Procedure:
    1 Mix all and keep in an air tight container.
    I use on spatchcocked turkey / direct at 350/400 high in dome....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.