Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza stone for small egg

Options
cookingdude555
cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I posted last night about what size to cut a large pizza stone down to for a small egg, and I think I got the right fit. I took two stones and had my friend the tile setter use a wet saw to cut them into 10 5/8" discs that seem to work perfectly on my grate mates from Chubby. Although the stone for my medium worked well in there, I struggled to get it much over 550 when doing a pizza. Anyway, I thought I would post this to help small owners looking for a pizza stone. Sorry, I forgot any before pics, and I had to hold the 1 yr old while he cut, so I only scored some after pics:

IMG_1073.jpg

IMG_1072.jpg

IMG_1071.jpg

The next project is making a plate setter I have seen on here for the mini. I am addicted to pizza on the egg now.

Comments

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    Not sure why you're using, a platesetter when configuring the Small with GrateMates and a stone.

The temp...(within limits :P ) isn't necessarily the most important thing in baking pizzas...it's the proximity of that heat to the top and bottom that does the trick.!

I've never needed to get much over 500...(in the Small) to get great results with pizza.

JMO

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Hey chubby. Same reason I use the platesetter on the medium and large when I do a pizza. You don't use any heat deflector when cooking a pizza with your awesome grate mates? I am interested in your setup for pizza, thanks!
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Ah man, you edited on me while I was typing, thanks! :laugh: :laugh:
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    Sorry...doing it again...lol!!!

Nope...nothing underneath!

The Small and the Large are different animals when it comes to pizzas in my experience.

I use different temps and setups in each...expressly due to their size.

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I have used the platesetter in the past and had pretty good even cooking on the crust and toppings, but I preheat the stone and setter like in the large/medium. In going without the setter, do you preheat the stone, or throw it on just before so you don't burn the bottom?