Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

looking at a used large egg (advice)

Options
gocougs
gocougs Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm going to look at a 1yr old used large egg. Any advice on what to look for?

Comes with:
large egg
regular cap & air adj. cap
Nest with casters
2 fold down side shelves
2 sided cast iron grid
Cast skillet
half moon veggie/ seafood plate\

$650

Thanks,
Jeff

Comments

• Plumbr44
    Plumbr44 Posts: 212
    Options
    Buy it, or give the seller my name. I will buy it
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Jeff,

IMO it is too close to list(or eggfest demo) price to give up the warrantee. Not a lot of accessories there.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• pissclams
    Options
    Aside from the obvious which would be to breakdown the internals- fire ring, fire box and inspect for cracks/damage, I'd look at the band and ensure there aren't any issues there.

The egg is a pretty simple device when it's all said and done.
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    Haggle. You can get an egg at an eggfest for nearly that amount (minus the accessories), which would still be covered by the warranty. The warranty is one of the biggest selling points of the egg, and is what sets BGE apart from their competition.
    I'd say haggle him way down on price, or just pick up an egg from an eggfest.
  • it's a good price.

people buy used cars all the time for way more money and with way more risk. the non-warranty issue is legitimate, but not a big deal in my book.

even if your firebox or fire ring cracks (actually, WHEN they crack), you can keep using them until they are virtually pulverized. a new one would be full price (not under warranty), but i'd have to think that new equipment would then be und3r warranty. don't know. might check with BGE on that one.

but you are looking at a decent set up for what might be as much as $1000+ retail.

you can buy more than a few fire boxes for that.
  • Vetereggnarian
    Options
    I'm for the warranty and all, but people talk like you can just pick up a demo egg when you trot down to the Starbucks.

There are other factors: you have wait for a fest (a nearby one), assuming you get on the list for one you have get to that fest on that day, pay for gas, maybe a rental vehicle to move the egg, then you might be standing there at 5:00 with a 300 degree egg as everybody heads for the exits.

Not trying to pick a fight, and if the stars align for a demo egg then get one, but sometimes used is a better option.
  • i agree.

the demo i got this past fest had no side tables, no cast iron grate, no half moon griddle...

was in a nest with ash tool and bag of lump for $650. a good price, sure, especially with warranty.

but a used one like the one he found on craigslist won't last long at the price
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    you will want to inspect the bottom of the base for cracks, they can be small, they usually start from the lower vent and run underneath, remove the firebox and check the bottom of the base from inside as well. it doesnt crack there often but its an expensive fix, something to look for
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • EggerFromIowa
    Options
    Minus the 3 egg feet, and an ash tool, looks like a pretty good deal. I got mine off Craig'sList, and I've never looked back.

Just check it real good for cracks. Check underneath for cracks as well.

Craig
  • faithie999
    Options
    many of us, after a few months, decide to build a cart/table for the large egg. if you were to do that, you'd not need the nest or the side tables. you might be able to use that logic with the seller to get him/her to lower the selling price.
    my 2 cents worth.