Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I cooked some'en:Shrimp w/Linguini & beef ribs

Options
JLOCKHART29
JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Evening. Been a rough month at DP's but first a little food as thats what this place is all about right!? :woohoo: Last night did some Limon Shrimp Scampi and cast iron skillet apple pie. First as always the raws:
7-22-2010018.jpg

Recipe was from Tyler Florence:
Ingredients

* 1 pound linguini
* 4 tablespoons butter
* 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
* 1 large shallot, finely diced
* 5 cloves garlic, sliced
* Pinch red pepper flakes, optional
* 20 large shrimp, about 1 pound, peeled and deveined, tail on
* Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
* 1/2 cup dry white wine
* 1 lemon, juiced
* 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley leaves

Directions

For the pasta, put a large pot of water on the stove to boil. When it has come to the boil, add a couple of tablespoons of salt and the linguini. Stir to make sure the pasta separates; cover. When the water returns to a boil, cook for about 6 to 8 minutes or until the pasta is not quite done. Drain the pasta reserving 1 cup of water.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter in 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Saute the shallots, garlic, and red pepper flakes (if using) until the shallots are translucent, about 3 to 4 minutes. Season the shrimp with salt and pepper; add them to the pan and cook until they have turned pink, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the shrimp from the pan; set aside and keep warm. Add wine and lemon juice and bring to a boil. Add 2 tablespoons butter and 2 tablespoons oil. When the butter has melted, return the shrimp to the pan along with the parsley and cooked pasta and reserved pasta water. Stir well and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle over a bit more olive oil and serve immediately.

7-22-2010026.jpg

7-22-2010028.jpg

7-22-2010032.jpg

7-22-2010034.jpg

7-22-2010038.jpg

And it wouldn't be right unless I gave all ya'll the bird. ;)
7-22-2010042.jpg

Work tomorrow so did some more "bonless beef ribs" it a marinade of:
# 1/4 c. shallot, chopped fine shopping list
# 3 TBSP. soy sauce (I like to use low-sodium) shopping list
# 2 TBSP. olive oil (I like extra-virgin) shopping list
# 2 TBSP. balsamic vinegar (I like balsamic from Modena, Italy - you can also use cider vinegar according to the book) shopping list
# 4 tsp. snipped fresh thyme (although I've used 1 tsp. dried in a pinch) shopping list
# 1 clove garlic, minced shopping list
# 1/2 tsp. cracked black pepper

7-22-2010057.jpg

Some fresh roasted corn:
7-22-2010047.jpg

7-22-2010048.jpg

And some quick stuffed peppers:
7-22-2010051.jpg

7-22-2010054.jpg

7-22-2010055.jpg

Ready to eat:
7-22-2010060.jpg

Doreen made a apple pie from apples my Dad grew and on the Egg at 350 for an hour.
7-22-2010016.jpg

7-22-2010019.jpg

7-22-2010044.jpg

Forgive me this OT.
For my Egg forum friends I have meet or those that just know so much about me from the forum I want to say thanks for you kind words the last month both on the forum and in privet emails. Many of you know I can't have kids and our "pets" are as close to our kids as we will ever know. Little Bit fought kidney failur like the "mountain lion" she thought she was untill I had to end it Tuesday morning early. She was just a little kitten 11 years ago when I picked her out at the local shelter because she was "the friskie one"!!LOL Along with her buddy Susie who died in Nov. they ruled the Smoke Shack and garden. DP's is a whole lot more empty now but nothing last for ever and all things change. Rest in peace Bit.
Spring09242.jpg

FOODfeb2010305.jpg

APRIL20161-1.jpg

April10173.jpg

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Good looking cooks Dean, as usual!! Tell Doreen she has to cook up that pie for me sometime!
    Great pictures to remember your babies. You've both been in my thoughts and prayers.
    Be well.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Sorry to hear about Little Bit buddy :(
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Good lookin cooks JL. Sorry to hear of the Pup's.
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    Woked up some General Tsos tonight...didn't feel like going to much more of a hassle. nice pics and nice cook, keep on eggin'
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Di
    Di Posts: 395
    Options
    My heart is breaking for you and your wife. My pets mean the world to me and I know how special Little Bit was to you. I thought many times this week about sending you an email to inquire on how she was doing, but I guess I knew in my heart what the answer would be so I decided to just keep watching for your post.

Words can't help the hurt, but know that your many friends here share in your sorrow.

Little Bit left this world knowing she was loved.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Sorry for ya'lls loss. :( .The food looks Fab!As ALWAYS!
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    What beautiful pets! Thanks for sharing the photos of Little Bit and Susie. I am sure they will never be forgotten.

BTW, thanks for the bird ...... now wait a minute, I feel manipulated.

P.S. As always, those are some fabulous cooks!
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Options
    I'm so sad for you both Deane. At least you have happy memories and Jake to hold on to. Our pets are also our children. I think Di put it beautifully.

Fabulous cooks as always. LOVE that pie!
  • misfit
    misfit Posts: 358
    Options
    Indeed, Di said it better than I can. That last picture is GOLDEN.

Be well my friend.
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Options
    Susie and Little Bit have left your house but not your hearts...cherish the memories and rest easier knowing they are no longer in pain.

I believe Jake will become one spoiled rotten little fella now :laugh:

Hugs to you and Doreen.
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    Damn bud, I hate it for ya. Losing a loved one is never easy and two in a year is damn sure tough. You and Doreen are in my thoughts.
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    Sorry to hear that JL. Our regards to yourself and Doreen. See you in April.

Doug
  • EggSimon
    EggSimon Posts: 422
    Options
    that looks good !

Great idea with that peppers !

Just a question refer the corn. Have ya submerged it for several hours before cooking ?
    I heard of that suggestion, but not sure if it makes also sense with shuck on during cooking ears ?

Sorry to hear that with the pets.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words all. Last weekend and the first part of the week were tough but things are returning to normal. Had to cancel the Colorado run this year and after all this neather of us really want to do it soon and this late in the year the weather starts being a factor if we wait long. Will do it next year good Lord willing. This year just going to head down to New Orleans for a few days and as bill said "have a few Sazracs and eat enough fattie foods to put all the weight I loss for the Colorado trip back on"!!LOL ;)
  • MDR
    MDR Posts: 55
    Options
    Great pic's My thoughts & prayers I know our pets have always been a BIG part of our family, we like them better than some people we know :P
  • Susan Egglaine
    Susan Egglaine Posts: 2,437
    Options
    Very sorry for your loss. I always look at your post as much for the critters as the food.
  • Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Options
    Sorry for your loss.
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Options
    Stellar cook as always, but definately and "ol Yellar" ending. My thoughts are with you. Be well.
  • kricks
    kricks Posts: 244
    Options
    There are some "cooks" I always make a point to look at and yours is one. Always original, well laid out and always look sooooo good.

The only way I have been able to work through giving up my surrogate children is to remember how happy they made me and hopefully how happy I made them. It is tough and it passes but it still hurts.

You can post any of those you'd like.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Sorry to hear the sad news. :(
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Great cooks...and I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your family members. Pets give us their neverending love and just ask for good care in return. You guys are great...
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    Options
    Food looks delicious...

I had to do the same for my buddy of 15 years in January. It gets easier, but I still find myself talking to him when I come home. My condolences.
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Hi, JL. I am so sorry to hear of your loss.

The cooks all look great. I bet those peppers were awsome.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Isolated01
    Isolated01 Posts: 157
    Options
    Sorry for your loss :(
    Great looking cook. Giving me the bird made me smile. Hang in there. There only gone when there forgotten.