Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs....again

ThailandBBQ
ThailandBBQ Posts: 51
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well I finally got a chance to smoke some ribs since my last fiasco. I did CWM's (RIP) recipe except I used spare ribs again. I did fairly well keeping the egg around 210 once I got it there. After 3 hours or so when I tried to bump it up to 250 it took me a while to get it there and stabilized, I was on the low side so I think this had little effect on the outcome. After about 5 hours the temp jumped up around 290 to 300, I had trouble getting it back down. Bottom line is they ccame out a little dry in a few places but were much better than last time. I seem to spend a lot of time watching the temp guage and rest assured all my adjustments were very minute.

Next time I should ace it.

Thanks for everyone's help.

One item I noted was that when I opened the egg to spray the ribs every hour my temp would jump and not come back done without further adjustment....everything I read on the forum says it should come back and stabilize....I guess I have a cranky egg.

Mike

Comments

• I wish I was in bed right now! This kid will not go to sleep! :)
  • FatMike
    FatMike Posts: 464
    I hear you, I'm up with my one year old. Snotty nose and cutting teeth. Momma sleeping with a smile or maybe a smirk. I have a 5 y/o that starts school Monday here in Tennessee. Still can't figure where those years went. All in all they are such a blessing...I think..LOL
  • It sure can be heart breaking when you trying to help them feel better and they stay upset. We've only had him home a week so we are still learning the ropes. We are reading 'the baby whisperer' and some British book about the e.a.s.y method. It's coming along but still a steep learning curve!

Much like typing with one hand... :)
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Your temp is gonna jump a bit cause the fire is getting more O2.....but after closing it will come down quickly unless your dome is left open fer a while....

Can't go wrong w/ ribs----my favorite cook on the egg! ;)
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • triehle98
    triehle98 Posts: 208
    Im just glad someone is watching and responding to the forum at this hour. that was uncalled for. glad that crap is gone but im still not gonna check the box everyone speaks of .
  • If you check the box then the terrorists win.

Seriously though, I think the box is good. It helps to separate the hard-core old timers from the newbies which I actually think is a good thing.
  • what box? the notification reply box?
  • The box T98 is referring to is to ignore guest or "non-member" post. You click on your name, click update profile and you will see box in middle on left. I think it is the best thing WMK has done. As soon as he notified us of the option I did it. Why would I want to read a post by someone not interested in being a member or a coward hiding their identity? It makes the forum much more enjoyable for me to not have to read all the nonsense that is posted by non-members and the cowards hiding their identity. JMHO
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • Am I missing something here....why is all this under my post?