Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Into the depths...

Options
Mr Holloway
Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
...of the Egg :evil:

Working on the searing. My first ribeye turned out a little overcooked. Everyone enjoyed it but it was well done :ohmy:
Next attempt went much better with this little striplion roast. It was done with a simple rub of salt,pepper,and bonedust. Seared and raised to finish. Sorry no pics of the inside. Took it to work for supper. It turned out juicy and a perfect medium. :)

IMG_6269.jpg

IMG_6274.jpg

Shane

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Nice way to sear. We usually cook 3/4" steak and when searing like that with a good red bed of lump we go about 50 to 70 seconds each side then take the meat up to the normal grid level for a finish cook to the doneness we like. Sometimes the meat is done with the sear alone, med-rare.

If the steak is 1.5 to 2" I usually sear 90 seconds to 2 minutes per side then up to the grid or raised grid level. I don't want a burn but a good heavy sear on the meat.

I use tvj's spider and load the lump to about 1" below the grid on spider level.

GG
  • Mr Holloway
    Options
  • Sooner Egg
    Sooner Egg Posts: 578
    Options
    looks great.....looks like rebar down there
  • Mr Holloway
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Good eye

Sometimes I have a little spare time at work :evil:
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Options
    Looks good. I do mine the same way, a grid sitting right on the coals.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    I like it, alot!! I need one of those....
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Looks great. I like the rebar grate! You can also do it directly on the coals caveman style. Just try and have some bigger lump and knock the ash down b4 you toss on your meat.